Proper tire pressure

Me thinks we have another troll that we don’t need as we have our own random troll that has been here for year’s.

1 Like

When I first started reading mdrl’s post, it sounded like he encountered me - I used to do stuff like that - UNTIL he got to the part about using the max pressure written on the sidewall. That was NEVER anything I ever said. I’ve always told people to use what the vehicle tire placard says (and I have since added “if the tire size is the same as on the placard!”)

Here are a few facts: That regardless of what it says on the sidewall for the max pressure, the load table is the same.

That means that regardless of who manufactures the tire, what the vehicle manufacturer specifies on the placard applies. I go into more detail here: Barry’s Tire Tech: Load Tables

2 Likes

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site,

Subject

re tire pressures
Response By Email(02/11/2021 11:26 AM)

Dear Dave,

[Web Inquiry:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas. The recommended cold inflation pressure is set by the vehicle manufacture, and is based on the load and performance expectation for the vehicle. So, the correct inflation pressure is listed on the tire We list a maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall because the same size tire can be used on multiple vehicle applications.

I will be replying to this and advise of the email i get back
and Iam not a troll but have your fun.

I totally understand what your saying here and of course temps do make a huge difference and i have never said it has to be at ie: 50 or 60 nor 80 at all times what i have said is this if your tire pressure says on the tire itself 35 then its 35 if it says 32 then its 32 like it says and yes for sure all temps make a difference if the temp changes depending on where you are 5 times a day then of course who is going to get out and readjust this many times a day (wrong) of course you have to wait. like i have also said I grew up thinking its winter dad says no more than 32 lbs so in turn what this means is your going to have more rubber touching the ground which is not good period but dad was right!!! what did i know i was a kid so that said you can ask 20 people and 20 shops and most will give you a different way some will say in winter set to 32 (very wrong) some will say door yes and most will. and this is usually 32 after driving have a look check it out it will usually go to 37 after driving some will do 35 after driving its now at 38/39 iam just telling you all who are jumping all over this it was coming from a top guy when i was at the dealership who did take this course and we were all told this was the correct way no if,ands,or buts, and yes we shook our heads as well, and our service manager said we follow (so we did) most here i think are in the usa not sure but here in canada (should not matter) this is what we as a dealership were to uphold and this coming from a top rep doing this course.

I think anyone who read this thread would know that many more people recommended not following the bad advice than following it. I am hesitant to be closing and deleting because I don’t have the expertise to evaluate these claims, most of the time. You all have explained well to anyone who might read this.

1 Like

That must of been some really good KOOL ADE.

Well for myself yes I have always went by the vin/load/weight/specs on door as well but told and taught different

and this was 2006/7 almost year end why the 7

See my comment above, their answer makes no sense. There is only one pressure ‘listed on the tire’, the ‘maximum inflation pressure’.

2 Likes

Either your “top guy” was taught wrong, or just was wrong, or you remember it wrong.

The information from 2 tire companies (Conti and Toyo… I’m sure I could find more) and most posters is to set pressures, cold, to vehicle manufacturers recommendations. These posters include a retired tire engineer, automotive and other engineers, a few racers, many experienced top mechanics, and a slew of experienced DIYers.

2 Likes

Yes, but just to be crystal clear, the advice is to set tire pressure to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation.

3 Likes

You mean the earth isn’t flat?

3 Likes

In hopes that my skin is thick enough to withstand the onslaught I will jump in here and state what is seemingly obvious to me; there are various pressures relating to various conditions on sidewalls. When attempting to get a tubeless tire to seat on the rim there is a MAXIMUM pressure on the sidewall of a tire. Tire shop equipment has regulated pressure that protects the tire and the technician from exploding the tire and/or rim from excess pressure and that MAXIMUM should not be confused with MAXIMUM OPERATING pressure.

2 Likes

Of course not. It’s slight bowed due to pressure from the solar wind.

1 Like

Ah … Mmmmm … You could have worded that better.

On the sidewall of tires is a statement not to exceed 40 psi when seating beads. HOWEVER, 40 psi is NOT the maximum line pressure in most tire shops. Most of the time, it is higher! So care must be taken if you are the guy mounting up tires.

There is also a statement about load and pressure. Sometimes it says “Max Load XXXX at YY pressure”. Note that it doesn’t say what the max pressure is, but it does says something about the relationship.

Sometimes it says: “Max Load XXXX, Max pressure YY”. Note this doesn’t say anything about the relationship.

And sometimes it says: “Max Load XXXX at YY max pressure.” That is a poorly worded phrase because it implies a relationship that isn’t exactly true.

(editorial note: Rod-Knox is not the only one who could use some help in his wording - and some of those people work at tire manufacturers.)

3 Likes

Did you mean, slightly over inflation reduces tire wear?

Perhaps I could have worded that better. I meant that slight overinflation promotes BETTER tire wear,

1 Like

hi you are talking about 35 psi but the label on the door say 32 psi - all four measured the same. search on google.

@mehakkjj2020_184874 This thread started in 2008 . The posting dates are hard to notice but they are on the right side of the posts . Mutipule people posted so it hard to tell who you are replying to .

1 Like