Problems reading oil

I recommend our non tech savvy readers to disregard this utter nonsense, and most of the other claims in the above solid block of text.

8 Likes

@subisean was wrong about the colors of the engine oil and trans dipsticks

He’s also wrong about these mysterious “checklists” and voiding the warranty

I’m not sure where he’s getting his information . . . I’m wondering if he’s employed at a dealership and has been drinking the kool-aid

As far as I’m aware, there’s no owner manual that says an owner doing the oil change himself will void the warranty

Heck, some Honda owner manuals even tell you the drain plug torque

Now why would Honda give the owner that information, if they knew that changing the oil and filter at home would void the warranty . . . ?!

5 Likes

@db4690:
You’re being too logical!
We will have none of that when it is more pleasing to throw around bizarre theories that are not fact-based!
:wink:

4 Likes

Heh heh heh. Like I said before, I think I was 10 years old helping (watching) Dad change the oil in the 58 Chevy. Failed to put the drain plug back in and dumped all the new oil on the gravel drive. I learned some new words then but have always never changed oil unless I have extra on hand and a couple filters-just in case.

Yes I have had a number of factory service manuals that I know for a fact were the same ones used by the mechanics before they went to computer. No big checklists that I ever saw. When you negotiate for a car, you can often get winter floor mats and a factory manual thrown in to close the deal. They’ll take the manuals from the mechanic’s bench though so you get used, not brand new.

Remember in the 60’s, someone stole the snow tires off my dads car while parked in the garage, not locking doors back then. So he decided to back the car into the garage, and they stole the battery. My father was not mechanically inclined, but decided to replace the battery himself. He must have gotten the posts reversed as I guess even then the posts were different sizes. He pounded the post through the bottom of the battery trying to get the clamp on. Not sure how many years later but the only tool he was allowed to use was his red screwdriver. If he cannot fix it with his red screwdriver, call a repair man, said my mom.

Dipstick holder is not in correctly or has been replaced or Oil pan could have been replaced with wrong pan. Dipstick getting bent when going into the pan. This model and year takes 7 quarts. When you add a filter it will take 8 quarts.

Some people just don’t make any effort to look things up. Must be a millennial

Go ahead GOOGLE IT I DARE YOU!

Duh!!

The 2007 chevy trailblazer 4.2l can hold 7 quarts of oil.

I looked up the oil capacity, there is nothing wrong with the dipstick or oil pan. The OP only added 5 quarts of oil during the oil change;

I was thinking why a quart and 1/2 low may show no reading. My dipstick on the trailblazer had 4 dots, then a little more space on the bottom. It seems every dot was 1/4 quart. so if you are 1.5 quarts low, put in a quart it will show 1/2 quart low. So my guess keep putting in oil a quart at a time until you get a reading on the dipstick.

The oil in my 2012 Camry drains back very slowly, has done so since new.

Manual says it takes 4.7 quarts. When I pu† in 5, it still reads low 15 minutes after shutting it off.

I called Toyota USA and they said, it will read full tomorrow morning, They were right.

Another oddity, the low mark on the dipstick is 1 and 1/2 quarts below the full mark. Guess it cuts down on the oil burning complaints.

I learned quickly that I do best checking the oil dipstick of my 2014 Camry on a cold engine before starting it up and driving anywhere. But since I typically do that anyway on weekends it isn’t a hassle.

Normally I check the oil, tires, etc. every two weeks, depending on weather, driving conditions, and how many miles I’ve been driving.

Speaking as a millennial, I take far more effort to look things up since I’m not stuck to an owners manual if it isn’t handy…I can just pull the PDF off the internet. Give me a break…

No they don’t…Also, how do you suggest someone do this when their filter is mounted on top of the engine?? It’s certainly not a bad idea to prefill the filter before you install it, but it doesn’t need to sit…

5 minutes without circulation? Where in the hell are you getting this information from? :thinking: Good grief…

6 Likes

Isn’t that a good question!
However, I doubt if you will get a response.

3 Likes

If that was true…then I voided the warranty on every vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Long gone are those types of manuals. Now it just says take it to the dealer.

My 1998 Pathfinder tool kit came with a spark-plug remover tool. It was very handy for getting the back plug on passengers side out. The rest just used normal socket set.

Honda still does. Here’s the manual for the 2020 Odyssey. See page 658.

2 Likes

Are you supposed to be looking-up information in a PDF manual?
As a millennial, you are supposed to be clueless and helpless. :wink:
Get with the millennial program, man!

:grin:

3 Likes

Shhh, that’s a secret!!
:wink:

2 Likes

Reminds me of my brother who owned a Volvo S90 that mysteriously would lose oil between changes. Dealer’s solution was to increase oil changes to 7 quarts and they changed the dip stick. Problem solved–it still lost oil between changes without explanation.

No qualified mechanic would ever do that. Too much oil can cause serious damage.

All that shows is that someone did not realize they could check the oil level on a regular schedule and add the amount to bring up to the full level.

You miss the point: Where did the oil go? Dealer could find no leaks and could not explain the shortage. The OEM solution just turned the car into an oil barge that my brother dumped.