Prepping a 20 year old car to sell

Buy a tarp and cover it up. Forget selling or junking it for now.

How about donating it? They’ll pick it up for free, and if dad has a favorite charity he might even feel good about doing it.

If sis is so gung ho on selling it, how about she take the (big) risk and drive it?

Dad needs the money for his burial costs, to donate it would mean no money to help pay to put him in the ground. Dad is 98 and really not grasping much, money is needed for when that “time” comes and the $300-$500 we can get will help. Sis lives about 3 hours north, I live right next to the car, and house dad doesn’t live in but still pays for…

VOLVO V70: Scrap it! Excellent advice. Why put effort and money into something for an extra 1 or 2 hundred dollars? Sentimental value to any potential buyer = zero.

I guess I don’t see that “big of a risk”. IF I go on a sunday around 7am there is basically no other traffic around, I will drive through my neighborhood, and then cross a street to the gas station and air hose and vacuum are, it’s less then 3 blocks.

I am all for scrapping it, problem is Sis and Dad are not, they see “value” in it, but then again they saw value in a battery that had been sitting out side for over 5 years and was pissed at me when I didn’t sell it and instead took it to the waste dump. Dad and Sis from a different generation, see value in everything and no reason someone else wont.

Try this: 1. citation for expired tag + citation for lack of insurance + towing charges for impounded vehicle + insurance proof to reclaim vehicle + storage fees while impounded . I can assure you all that will more than the $600 you might get for the vehicle.

That’s if you are caught by a police officer, how many police drive through residential neighborhoods on early sunday mornings, sure there is a risk, but I think the odds are very small. IF it just needed cleaned out I would just do that at home, but the tires need air, can’t do that from home.

You don’t have to allow a buyer to drive the car before he buys it. I bought many $500 cars without driving them. Some sellers would drive the vehicle themselves and not let the buyers drive. At a towing auction you can’t drive the cars before bidding on them.

Consider buying an air pump and a shop vacuum, you may find these useful in the future.

If driving is just to vacuum it out and inflate the tires, can’t you borrow a vacuum cleaner with a hose and an air pump? Even a bicycle pump would do. You don’t need to get this thing into great shape, just clean enough to sell. No return on the risk you’ll be taking.

Northern Tool has a 12 volt tire pump for under 15.00 but I think the OP is determined to get a ticket.

What leads you to believe that driving 3 blocks in a housing development then across a street will lead to a ticket? IS there a small chance, sure, there is always a chance but since there is never a cop just driving around in my housing area, and all I have to do is just cross a street, I think the chances are very slim.

Heck IF I wanted to be 100% I could just put my car’s plate on there for the short drive, no way I get a ticket then from a cop.

If mom and dad are listed on the title with an “OR” between their names dad can sign the title. If they are listed as mom AND dad you may have to visit the DMV with a death certificate and have the title transferred.

It is listed under both their names, it says Bob and Terry Hanover,(not using their real names) on it. I don’t even know where my dad put my mothers DC, if he even has it, I was just going to sign both of their names before selling it.

This gets more and more complicated and illegal. If you swapped your plates to it in my state you would be charged with much more than expired plates. SCRAP IT for $400 and tell Dad and Sis that was all you could get for it. Or give the responsibility to Sis. She deserves it.

a car that runs and drives with a 500 dollar price tag will sell in three days.

put a sign on it, sign the title over and good riddance.

don t even bother washing it

eta- some one will probably be grateful to get it…

I’m not really worried about a ticket, it’s some crazy unexpected accident that would be the problem. And for what? A vacuum and tire inflation. Obviously not worth it to me…

The issue isn’t risking some fines or even a license suspension. The issue is that if you hit a kid who runs out in front of you during that drive, you might be sued for damages in the millions of dollars. Without liability insurance, they can take your current assets plus most of your salary for years and years to come.

lion9car: 100% correct. I’m suspecting a 14 year old Troll.