Preignition

Sadly, this model does not have running boards.

There is a way to determine if your engine is experiencing pre-ignition with regular gas. There is a smartphone app called Torque Pro that reads your OBD II data. There is a plug-in that looks for pre-ignition during a full throttle event. I think it looks for a step reduction in spark advance based on the knock sensor reading or the knock reading itself if that is available on OBD II. I’ve played around with it on my Mustang with a 93 octane “tune” while running 87 octane fuel. And yes, it will show pre-ignition I can’t hear.

I intend to try it on my truck as I can actually hear a little momentary pinging when I load the engine with a trailer.

Maybe the truck doesn’t retard spark as fast as the Mustang.

“I recall seeing the race that finally drove Garlitz to move the driver in front of the engine. The other driver in his pairing had an engine explosion so violent that it blew the driver’s cage completely off the car in a huge fireball. Big Daddy got out of his car at the end of the track and sat on the side with his head in his hands. The camera stayed with him for a long time, and he did not move.”
"
I don’t know what race you’re referring to, that one sounds more like a race where Don Prudhomme was racing Jim Nichols and Nichols’ car was cut in half by a clutch explosion.

Garlits designed the rear-engined dragster while in the hospital recovering from having half his right foot severed in his own clutch explosion.

Looks like @Tester vs @asemaster and @“the same mountainbike” disagree on whether I can trust my ears to detect pinging on this car. Why don’t you fight it out.

Before someone posts standard comment #37 again, I would care about this because my son will have a limited budget and saving money by using regular is relevant to him. Standard comment #39 I will answer now before it gets posted, I got this car because he is extra tall and there are few vehicles that are reliable and that he could fit in.

I don’t at all mean this as being snarky or argumentative, but I don’t understand the math that gets you to saving money by using regular instead of premium. You say that the car isn’t driven much. But lets say that the car goes as much as 1000 miles a month. Assuming 20mpg, that’s 50 gallons. And assuming a 30 cent price spread between regular and premium, that’s $15/month. Now if there’s any drop in fuel economy, that savings will be even less.

If the car requires premium, I can’t see not using it.

I don’t drive it much. Just enough to keep it in good shape. I am saving it for him. When he gets it, he probably will drive a lot.

Use premium fuel. That is what Lexus requires or recommends, and you hardly drive it. It’s an extra hundred bucks over 5000 miles. Wile the engine does have variable valve timing, you should do what Toyota calls for.

Read the previous post.

I did read it. I was putting the cost of premium fuel in persoective. If you only drive 1000 miles per year in the LS, premium only adds up to 20 bucks. It seems like a small price to keep the car in top shape. BTW, do you drive little enough to use fuel stabilizer?

No, I am able to use up a tank of gas in about 2 months.
Response to question #73: No, this is not short trips.
My son may drive a lot.

Melott, we might disagree on how easily you’re likely to hear the preignition, but you’ll notice that we all agree in our recommendation to use what the manufacturer recommends. Premium.

If you can’t hear any pinging on a fully warmed up engine on a steep upgrade with the radio and cabin fan off things should be fine.

Some owners manuals even state that a little pinging is acceptable. My personal preference is for no pinging at all but it’s also not the Kiss of Death for an engine unless it’s severe and chronic.

As I’ve often stated, most pinging is caused by an EGR fault; usually sooted up passages.

Ummm the question was about the use of regular in an engine that requires premium. I would be disinclined under these circumstances to suspect the EGR system… :smiley: