Preemptory parts replacement?

That was over 30 years ago. Luck has nothing to do with it. Alternators and starters have changed since then. Far more reliable.

1 Like

Alternator and starter are easy replacements, but why anticipate that they will fail more than anything else? Yes, their failure will strand you but not dangerously. Either the car won’t start or the charging light will come on with miles of driving still possible. Replacement also is no guarantee. Soon after having the starter in my old Honda replaced, I was surprised by a no crank situation in a supermarket parking lot. Visual inspection showed that the “new” starter had fallen apart. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

1 Like

Ever replace the starter on let’s say a 95 Nissan pickup with the 4 cylinder?

Or on the GM North Star engine?

GD-LMLcaAAAo2-L

I didn’t think so since you made that inane statement.

Tester0

I seem to remember a few vehicles where the cv axle has to be removed in order to R&R alternator…

Interesting. That’s the first I’ve heard of a starter motor being located in the intake manifold valley on a v8. Good reason to price out P&L for commonly expected repair jobs before deciding on which car to buy.

How 'bout in the bell housing of the transmission?

images

Tester

1 Like

Lexus LS V8 also has the starter motor in the V.

Nissan Armada/Titan and Infinity brothers have the starter in the valley as well…

Yep that’s where it was on our olds North Star. Never had to replace it luckily.

Guessing that since it is located in a relatively difficult to access location, the design is more robust than for a starter motor that is more easily replaced. My Corolla’s starter motor is very small b/c not much room for it bolted to the outside of the engine/trans. So they probably had to make some design compromises to make is smaller. If located nside the v8 valley presumably it can be larger and more robust.

A starter motor located in the engine valley isn’t exposed to water splashed from the road.

Removing the intake manifold is usually easier than removing the exhaust manifold/catalytic convertor assembly to access a starter. 3.0 to 5.5 hours labor to replace the starter on many Lexus rear-wheel-drive V6 and V8 engines when the exhaust manifold needs to be replaced.

Lexus ISF 5.0 L V8: 13 hours labor to replace the starter assembly, first step; remove engine.

1 Like

Guess I shouldn’t complain about my Corolla’s lack of starter motor robustness … lol …

It doesn’t matter what you preemptory replace, something besides that part will go bad.

fair enough; thanks!