Pouring Coke on a Battery

The best thing to do is to clean off the crud and then remove and clean the terminals and posts using a wire brush or a battery post cleaner. I’ve been amazed how often cleaning the terminals made the car start like new again, especially in my older cars. And I’d just like to say that I’m sorry the woman who called bought a new battery! That’s like buying a new pair of pants because your cuffs got dirty.

i have used a different cheaper more readily available method. dump some baking soda on the terminal then some apple cider vinegar, straight from the bottle. this works great and longer than anything else. plus you do not attract ants to the ground under the car. in fact if ants are under the car they will die.

Why do you use a base AND an acid? Are you trying to make a science fair volcano? How about throwing in some maple syrup? Oh yes, the ants.

But, re the WHITE STUFF – Why does it have to have Lead involved at all? The lead (Pb) is INSIDE the battery, right? Is there lead in the posts or terminals? Why the assumption that the white stuff is a lead compound?

Yes, I think the posts and terminal clamps are made of a lead alloy – they are very soft, probably so they will mold to each other to help maintain close electrical contact.

The Coca-Cola company used to advertise that their product could be used to cut the corrosion on battery terminals and allow the car to be started. Didn’t the advertisement say “Things go better with Coke”?