Possible GM name change?

I don’t think there is any way Ford is considering the purchase of Pontiac. They have been shedding rather than buying for some time now.

" Look out your window do you see all the problems we are having? It is because we have exported most of our production jobs,things are not just fine."

There’s nothing wrong with my vision. The 1970s and early 1980s were a tough time for our economy. Yet an industrial revolution occurred and made things great for two decades. Now we need to move on to another industrial revolution. It may be the health industry, as is often proposed. But the automobile industry certainly is not an industry that will show significant growth for the USA.

I do feel compassion for the hard working people in the Upper Midwest who are most affected by this downturn. My mother’s family is from a rural steel town that was destroyed when the mill was closed. I worked in an industry (steel) that went through similar contractions. I think my vision is just fine.

Yesterday’s tomatoes.

That car would be a Cadillac today. GM changed their focus over time. Cadillac is their luxury performance division. Buick is their cushy luxury division. Maybe they will blur the lines to sell a few more Buicks. But if Lexus is not a performance car, Buick is not a performance car.

You don’t understand, a product must be produced for the country to enter into prosperity it won’t happen if our base is the health industry or selling credit default swaps,something of value must be produced.

That’s typical. What got GM in the mess they’re in now is because of DUMB, DUMB decisions by upper management. The company needs to make MAJOR changes in how it builds cars and how it designs and sells them. So their ONE solution is to just change it’s name…TYPICAL marketing.

It reminds me of an article I read about Wendy’s some 20+ years ago. Dave Thomas (the founder of Wendy’s) wanted to decrease the # of complaints they get. He put this new VP of marketing in charge. Each store had a suggestion/complaint box for customers to fill out cards and drop in. The Marketing Genius solution…Eliminate the Suggestion/Complaint boxes.

And, in the name of marketing, GM has already changed the name of GMAC Bank to Ally Bank!

Advertising really can stir interest in a product or a company, so when I saw those neat ads recently for Ally Bank, I decided to do a bit of research on it. When I found out that it was simply “old wine in new casks”, I decided to open a CD at a very solid local bank, rather than deal with GMAC–from afar–under its new name.

In fact, GM has already gotten itself into trouble with the Feds over some of the policies of the “new” Ally Bank. Apparently, their practice of paying higher interest rates than most other banks was not a sound practice. The FDIC is concerned that this could become a “rate war”, and that some weaker banks could become further weakened by having to compete with Ally Bank.

Remember–if those weaker banks go belly-up, the additional FDIC costs would have to be shouldered by the other banks that are not engaging in unsound practices, and if that was insufficient, then you and I would have to shoulder the costs. Since you and I are already supporting GM financially, and since the Feds can now put their foot down over bad business practices at GM, Ally Bank has already been told to change its policies. At the same time, the FDIC seems to be ignoring a few other banks that are also paying unusually high interest rates, but since those banks are not “on the dole” as GM is, they may be ignored–at least for the time being.

If you want to read more about “old wine in new casks”, and how this bank already got itself into hot water with Federal regulators, take a look at:

I have no doubt it will stir interest…SO WHAT…If they don’t have a complete top-to-bottom restructuring of the company and it’s STUPID policies…it’s doomed to fail.

I think they should change their name to “Green Monkeys”, after the recently made simians that were genetically engineered to glow under UV light.

Would that be Green as in environmentally responsible?

Perhaps that would be a good name for the Volt…the monkey they can’t get off their back…

I think they’ll probably lean towards Government motors, since it was already mentioned in a news article :stuck_out_tongue:

I do understand. I just don’t agree with your analysis. And we do have an industrial base: semiconductors, aerospace, and pharmaceuticals. And probably more. We are moving on.

A corperate name change for GM would be an absolute and blatant WASTE of money they don’t have !!!
Every sign. ( millions of 'em )
Every letter head.
Every envelope.
Every legal document needed to be filed and legal fees to do so.
Billions in advertising.
New logo design & vehicle name plates/labels

And with who’s money ???

“…GM has already changed the name of GMAC Bank to Ally Bank!”

GM is not the majority owner of GMAC anymore. Cerberus, former owner of Chrysler, is the majority owner. Why would they want to retain the old name?

Ours.

You answered a rhetorical question. Ken’s ahead 1-0. :wink:

Then you want a Ford.

Washington just found out. They took Ken’s “1”.

how about ’ American Motor Company ’ ?
Now with 10 % fewer Gremlins …