Poor mpg from Prius

Wasn’t there a post recently about status symbol cars? :stuck_out_tongue:

The “average fuel economy” message is avearge for the entire number of miles on the car. The newer the car is, the easier it is to see a change in the average as you make concerted effort to make it better. The more miles add up, the harder it becomes to change the numbers simply by virtue of the law of averages. Now that my 06 hybrid escape has 21,000 miles on it I cannot get the display to show better mpg even after a week in town following a long road trip, there are far too many miles in the math for the average to change much. Calculate your mileage from one fill-up to the next for a more accurate mpg from each tank full.

You are much better than me, my friend. When I drove “normally” without abrupt stops and accelerations, but with traffic, I averaged 22 mpg. If I watch the computer like a hawk, decelerate VERY slowly, that is not touching the accelerator at all (sometimes for 4 blocks if I see a light ahead turning red), VERY slow accelerations, and if I’m going downhill (like on Laurel canyon which is 1 mile downhill approximately) not touching the accelerator at all!, I might get 30-34. Right now, the last 100 miles, my average is 29.8. I am in a lease and not a happy camper!

The dealerships tell me my car is fine. When I first got the car, they said I needed to put 1000 miles on it. I now have 2200 miles on the car and the last techie said the computer “reset” at 3000 miles although the gentleman I spoke to at the Toyota corporate office wasn’t aware of any such reset. If anyone can recommend a lawyer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

This is why you don’t lease. if you’re unhappy with the car, you’re stuck with it or gonna pay some outrageous fees to get out of the lease. Are you constantly running your AC? If so, this is probably part of the cause of your horrible mileage.