Please Help

We need to get that code read. I’m suspecting something with a cam sensor or something similar that is giving the engine bad data. The code can point us in the right direction.

Where can I find the cam sensor, are you talking about the camshaft position sensor. I think it is at the bottom of engine by the timing belt but not sure, any ideas

Where can I find the camshaft position sensor, I am not really sure

How about the ECT sensor. Its probably teling the ECM the coolant is -40 degrees. This will cause extreme flooding.
~Michael

Is this a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder engine? Anyway, get a spark plug wire and attach to an ignition coil. Stick a spark plug in the end of the spark plug wire. Place the spark plug where the metal part will touch the engine. Have someone crank the engine while you watch for spark to jump the spark plug gap. Test each ignition coil. There must be spark to cause the cylinders to fire.

it is a 4 cyl. 2.4 DOHL, it does not have any plug wires, it uses rubber boots to go over the plugs. I just replaced the coil yesterday, and all my plugs an boots. As well as the coil housing

I know the engine doesn’t have spark plug wires. The spark plug wire is for testing purposes…to test for spark from each coil for each spark plug. Of course, there are other types of spark testers; but, this is the cheapest. If changing the fuel pressure regulator fixed the flooding, the spark plugs are still fuel fouled. One way to dry the spark plugs is to take them out, pull the fuel pump relay, crank the engine to clear the cylinders, re-install the sparks and attempt to start.

I was finally able to get my codes p0300 for multiple cylinder misfires. So any idea of what I need to do, I had two codes, both where p0300 and one said it was pending. Does this mean that all of my sensors are good, including the cam sensor.

Thanks

How can I check for a vaccuum leak, I did find a tube torn on the throttle body, not sure if it is a vaccuum tube but it goes from the throttle body to a sensor, any ideas

You have the code P0300 multiple cylinder misfire do to extreme engine flooding. The most likely cause of this is the “ECT” sensor. The ECT sensor reads the temperature of the coolant for proper fuel air mixture. The ECT sensor is probably telling the computer the coolant is -40 degrees. This reading is within specs and will not set a code. It will however cause the engine to flood badly. If you had access to a scan tool that would read engine data instead of just codes you could verify the reading. I would try replacing it at this point.
~Michael

Trouble code P0300 is for “random misfire”. We kinda figured that. The trouble code needs to be cleared with a scan tool; but, that’s not important, right now. What is important is getting the engine to run half-way decently. You may have to do the cylinder clearing, and the un-fouling of the spark plugs, again. IF you do that, and it still fuel fouls the spark plugs and floods the cylinders, the ect (engine coolant temperature) sensor is the next suspect on the list. If there is still a problem, there will be a need for further testing; but, first things first.

I have a coolant temp of 77’f, any idea where to find the ect sensor.

I don’t know if my memory buffer is big enough to download that HUGH image. // This is one of those instances when one wishes one could send a virtual mechanic for a look-see and to advise. Maybe, the next generation of CAR TALK…?

How do you know the coolant temp is 77’ F? The coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing. Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine. The ECT sensor will be right there. Has a black plug with a yellow and a brown wire connected to it.
~Michael

I got the coolant temp from the OBD scanner it told me that the coolant temp was 77

How does this temp reading compare to the actual temperature of the engine? If the engine was at normal operating temperature(gauge reading) then the ECT sensor is not working. If the engine temperature was about 77’ (not run long, ambient temp, etc.) then your problem is somewhere else.
~Michael

yeh the engine had been running for about 1 min. when I read that temp., so are you saying that the ect sensor is good. Any other ideas of what this could be.

I seem to think that maybe my, timing chain might have jumped or my chain sprocket is worn, what do you all think

Based on your description that ECT sensor reading would be about right so we can forget that idea. You replaced the fuel pressure regulator so we can safely eliminate that. I don’t think it is a timing chain problem.

Just a thought: You mentioned you changed the plug boots. Did you verify the presence of the internal spring in the boot. You need to make sure they are in all 4 boots.

~Michael

copy that, that was the first thing that I made sure, has happened once before