Passing on the Right

That’s a perfect description of boston driving. When I lived there, I had a beater car just for commuting in rush hour (better for bluffing if your car was pre-dented). Use of turn signals was definitely considered a sign of weakness. Passing slower traffic in the breakdown lane was common. True story: A friend of mine was meeting an out of town associate driving a rental car, this guy stopped at the curb and threw open his car door without looking, a cab took the door completely off and never even slowed down, typical.

Try riding a motorcycle in boston rush hour, that’s pretty “sporting.”

Are you sure you don’t live near DC or Baltimore? It’s like here, too. Even worse than LA in that respect, although LA traffic is much heavier. And that’s amazing. The second heaviest traffic is the B/W area, and it just isn’t close to LA. But they are rather courteous in LA.

I follow a ‘drive in your lane’ policy on multi-lane highways and expect other competent drivers to do the same. As several people have pointed out, those no-passing-on-the-right laws are long gone in most places, and merely screw things up when some people try to follow a non-existent law.

As far as 'not letting people pass on the right" beware of states with aggressive anti-road-rage laws. Interfering with a car in another lane can get you arrested.

Or, here in Texas, shot.