Passat 2007

I understand what you are saying, Dr. Porsche did build the original VW at the insistence of the government. Personally, I don’t care which lunatic was running their country at the moment, but I do take your point.

However, building the original VW had more to do with keeping the population happy than supporting the “war machine.” Personally, I have no problem with the folks that happened to live in germany during the late 30s. I certainly hope that history doesn’t hold you and I responsible for everything the U.S. government does during the current era.

“I certainly hope that history doesn’t hold you and I responsible for everything the U.S. government does during the current era.”

I certainly agree with those sentiments. God forbid!

Maryann,

I own a 2004 Passat (with the 1.8T engine). It’s my third VW. My last VW, a 1996 Passat was a wonderful car – very fast and a monster on the corners – but a reliability nightmare. So far, I have had no problems with my new Passat (knock on wood). The new ones are a lot more reliable than the old ones. I say get the Passat. And get the stick (not the automatic)!!

Mark

I have a friend who was in a Japanese prison camp during WW II, and will not buy German or Japanese products. Thus, in the late 80s he bought a used Jaguar for himself and a Hyundai Pony (bio-degradable) for his wife. After suffering through this automotive punishment, he came to his senses and bought American.

I drink coffee from a Japanese mug with a 1934 Mercedes Cabriolet (in yellow & blue) on it. Let’s celebrate Germany’s gifts to the world: great engines, great beer, and great sausages!!

OOOOH, but we elected them! 8^O

true. life is too short to not have fun once in awhile

I have a Rolex. Inherited it from my Dad. Clasp on band didn’t seem to hold in a positive way. Foolishly I wore it anyway- everywhere. Cruising around in my '71 Chevy C10 Cheyenne one Saturday afternoon w/left arm getting a “trucker’s tan”, I suddenly noticed it wasn’t there anymore! In a panic I retraced my paths. Found it in the middle of a large intersection- it had been run over and still worked. A couple days

later it still told the corrrect time! Since it was an heirloom I took it to a reputable jewler who convinced me damage was more than cosmetic; plus, what would POP think? Cost $900.00 to have it (refurbished?)- best word, I guesss. It’s in a safe deposit box now. Considering a sundial- I’m a fan of minimal upkeep. Speaking of minimal upkeep, I still miss my '61 Karman Ghia. What’s all this got to with the price of tea in Stuttgart?

“Speaking of minimal upkeep, I still miss my '61 Karman Ghia. What’s all this got to with the price of tea in Stuttgart?”

I have no idea how we got off on this “watch” tangent.

You should have kept the 61 Ghia. (-;

Wow, you forgot the #1: Music. Well, the Germanic World’s #1 gift, anyway.

Yeah, those things were simplicity itself, weren’t they? The '61 was the coolest because of the bullet front parking lights.

Sorry; my wife would say likewise, since Beethoven and Brahms are her favotite composers.

This reminds me of the column “Mail for McCahill” in Mechanix Illustrated where Tom McCahill answered car questions from readers. One young single man buying his first car asked Tom if he should get a sports car, and the answer was: “Yes, by all means; since you are going to married and dead for a long time!”

…for that matter, I am not interested in a Volkswagon, but am very interested in the Scion tC… Maybe I should take a look at the Lexus IS350? It makes no sense to recommend a car well out of the price range of the mentioned car, that the potential buyer is looking at! People shop within their price range and that’s a pretty large difference! Although it is a large price difference, both these cars are overpriced and rather low performers overall across the board! Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just makin’ a point!

“It makes no sense to recommend a car well out of the price range of the mentioned car, that the potential buyer is looking at!”

The only point was that the A4 and passat are essentially different trim levels of the same basic car and it’s probably preferable to deal with an audi dealer (VW dealers do not have a good reputation). I have know idea what the price range of the OP is, all I know is that they liked the passat and they are shopping for a new car. I would assume that anyone looking at new cars (as opposed to used) has some flexibility in their budget, but I don’t really know.

Personally, I would probably buy a used audi instead of a new VW because I never buy new cars (way too much initial depreciation). I will be shopping for something similar for my 16 year-old daughter at some point, I would consider a used A4 if I found a decent one for a reasonable price. Also, in the used market the audi is less likely to be beat up by kids. There seem to be tons of used VWs (and low end BMWs) on the market that have been beat to death by teenage drivers (almost as bad as used civics).

In your case, I would definitely buy a used lexus instead of a new scion. Buying a brand new low-end car is probably the worst deal on the planet. You will take a huge depreciation hit in the first couple of years, and if you make the mistake of borrowing money to buy one you will be upside-down for a couple of years. If you really want a scion, find a good used one and pay cash.

He really was a lot of fun, wasn’t he?

Maryann; if you asked me if I would buy my wife a Passat, I would say, no way!, but there other funcars that are much more reliable, such as the Mazda Speed 3, and others. You just disposed of a troublesome vehicle, and I could not possibly suggest you get into another one. Even if it proves to be reasonably relaible, it will cost much more in regular maintenance. Volswagen specify their own oil; an oil change will cost more than twice what it costs on a Ford Taurus. Even minor repairs cost a lot more.

Hi Maryann: one word: DON’T!!! My brother had nothing but problems with his VW… he finally traded it in for a Toyota Sienna van! My son’s Jetta was in the shop on a regular basis, which greatly decreased the fun factor. And besides, who said VW’s are German cars? The are made in MEXICO, by guys paid three bucks an hour! In fact, the director of VW, in a memo several years ago, bemoaned the poor quality of Volkswagens built at Third World factories… especially mentioned in the “hall of shame” were Mexico and Brazil… Soooo, even VW recognizes “the problem”. By the way, I love VW’s (I’ve owned four) but will never buy a “cool but unreliable” vehicle (especially VW, with their jackazz dealers) ever again. Are you listening, Volkswagen of America? As an aside, my current vehicles are: Subaru Impreza, Ford Bronco, Chevy Truck and '68 Ford Galaxie.

There used to be a great automobile made in the U.S.A. called a Packard. The slogan of the Packard motor company was “Ask the man who owns one”. From some of the comments I read by other posts, I don’t think VW wants to use this slogan.

In your OP, you stated that you “test drove the Passat and loved it”. What impressed you about the Passat in this test drive? Weigh this answer against your automotive needs and desires. Where is dependability on your list as opposed to a car that has sporty handling? Is the car going to be used to get you to your job or as part of your job (as an over the road salesperson? I think some of the Passats require premium fuel. If so, does this bother you?

When I accepted my first job back in 1965, I wanted to buy an MG midget. However, I realized that my job was a temporary position and that I would need to go back to school. I got a good deal on a 1965 Rambler that had been driven 7000 miles and I got the rest of the warranty (I paid $1750 for the car). I was actually in the temporary job for four years, and the Rambler saw me through my next degree. By this time I was married, so the Rambler had to go a couple more years while we got on our feet. Even at my advanced age, I would love to have the equivalent of the MG Midget–a Mazda Miata. However, I am president of a small chamber orchestra, and I can’t find tympani or a string bass that will fit in the Mazda Miata trunk, so needs again dictate and I drive a Chevrolet Uplander minivan. In your case, assess your needs and wants and then choose the car that comes the closest to fitting needs but is still gives some driving satisfaction.

Doesn’t EVERY car eventually run out of a warranty, need repairs, and you end up footing the bill??? The PASSAT looks nice but spend a few thousand less and buy the Jetta Wolfsburg(?) edition. My friend has one and they are very, very, very nice.

Are you guys still quibbling over a few cents per mile?

Find a car you like and buy it; if/when it breaks, fix it. Ignore all the noise about “reliability.” If you don’t think it performs up to your standards or you think it’s costing too much, sell it and buy something else.