Partner wants me to have AC fixed before road trip

“Yes. Unless it seizes, the compressor always turns, whether it is working or not.”

No, the compressor does not always turn. The pulley always turns, but the compressor only turns when the clutch is engaged.

“If the refrigerant was low, it wouldn’t occasionally kick on”

Yes it will under certain conditions. When it gets lower, then it won’t anymore. I do agree that it is unlikely, that is why I used the word “might” and if a recharge did work, it would only be temporary. Other than that, I pretty much agree with everything else in your post.

"Fly from OK to KY and ship the car. Quicker, cheaper and better than driving. "

Cheaper??? HOW???

hello! i am back! the mechanic says … drum roll

I NEED A NEW TRINARY SWITCH!

tah daaaaah!

but he can’t find one. i am looking… so far, very hard to find :o

anyone know how the heck to find a subaru trinary switch?

i found a part number, but the only online places that have them are in RUSSIAN.

is this part ever called something else? is it the same as an a/c pressure switch?

Tyger,

We normally request a new thread for a new topic. So I’ll do it now.

in the new thread, please post some relevant information…like year, model and engine along with “Subaru”. If you have any idea where this part is supposed to go, put that in there, too (like engine, transmission or evap system, whatever).

Yeah, there’s a real thread shortage.

You can find a Subaru trinary switch here:

“She is concerned it will get really hot and I’ll pass out or something. I’ve told her it’s not that hot if the windows are down and I’m in motion. But it will be a long couple days of driving to get the car to Kentucky.”

“She” is correct, …. well maybe not pass out, but it can put quite a stain on you and decrease your attention to driving when driving long distances when it is hot.

I suggest having a local (not a national chain) shop and get it fixed before the trip.  You will be happier and so will your wife.   

Note, in the south the shop will likely say A/C shop, but in the north, they usually will be called a radiator shop.

Chiassos - thanks for the heads up! i will start a new thread.

tyger–
Fix your air conditioning before you make the trip. I have just retired and am cleaning out my office. The chiller plant that air conditions our entire campus went down this morning. I created a big stink as a faculty member and find now, as I move boxes out of my offices, that I am creating an even bigger stink. You don’t want to make the trip to Kentucky without the air conditioning. However, now that I am good and stinky, I think I will make a trip to my Dean’s office.

Chase, This Is Tyger’s Thread And We Were Given The Make / Model-Year And The Fact That The Failed System Is The Air Conditioner.
CSA