Parking in Paris

I’m better, my cursive writing looks like hieroglyphics.

They have also taken about 1/3 of some major streets and marked the as bike lanes, reducing the lanes available for vehicles. Usually, car lanes are crowded and bike lanes empty, or with perhaps a single cyclist. I understand that bike riding instead of driving reduces pollution, and support it, but I can’t help but feel much of what’s happened here is because of “optics,” it looks good, with little or no thought to how many bike lanes are needed to match the use they will get. This is not Europe, where in many countries the streets are full of bicyclists; autos are not considered a necessity as they are here, fewer people own them, cycling has long been part of some cultures there. No matter how they try to make it happen, San Diego (to name just one city) is not European, and never will be.

I feel your pain about bike lanes. One full lane of the Richmond San Rafael Bridge over SF Bay is set aside for bikes now, and I have seen people use it, but not many and certainly more on weekends when I suspect it’s more for recreation than transportation. It seems like a very strange allocation of resources. We also have bike lanes which are between parked cars and the gutter, which makes a formerly 4 lane city street into a claustrophobic 2 laner.

Bike riders pay nothing for their use of the roads. Not a penny.

Your idea is great, in theory. I live in New York and right now, taking the subway is a very dangerous and unpleasant undertaking.
Many people would love the idea of taking safe, comfortable public transportation instead of using their cars, (gas, tolls, etc). Unfortunately our politicians have been stuffing their pockets with money that was intended for mass transit for so long that these systems are unsafe and unpleasant.
Rant over. Sorry about getting political.

1 Like

They could also ride up and down the road twice an hour for 20 years and not do any damage to the road whatsoever. :wink:

Not to go down this road again, but things are probably a little different in NY than other places. Regardless, try to think of what would be required to insure safety when anyone in the public can get on and ride for a few dollars? Do we restrict people based on prior arrests, drug use, violence, health? Create enclosed and locked riding compartments that are disinfected between uses? Provide patrols in each location? And then of course what about the station platforms where certain folks seem to congregate? I don’t think the physical vehicle is as much of a problem as the general nature of the public at this point sorry to say. At this point in our existence I would just suggest it is not a time to be congregating with a bunch of folks unknown to you unless you are at Disney or have means of self-defense.

I wish that this were true, but fuel taxes and registration fees (etc.) don’t cover all the costs of motor vehicle traffic (not just roads, but also enforcement, pollution, etc.), thus the general taxpayer covers some of the cost.

Don’t confuse me with facts! My mind is made up.