Oxygen sensor(s) for '93 Taurus

Just double-checked and “1” embossed on dist cap is at three o’clock, not four.

Art1966: OK, thanks, extremely helpful, now I know firing order and cap sequence, I will check all wires to make sure they are on correct cap terminal. Alas, I don’t have a torque wrench, but maybe I should button down the plugs a little harder than I did.

Will get back to this thread tomorrow when I can deal with car in the daylight.

I don’t think you told us which engine you have ???
Spark gap is listed on Emission Sticker (front of engine) … .052 to .056 for 3.8L.
I think 3.8L distributor rotates anti-clockwise (looking at top).
I think 3.0L distributor rotates clockwise through 1-4-2-5-3-6.
Check your direction by removing distributor cap and rotating engine (by hand).
You can check cylinder #1 by lining up distributor rotor with plug #1 and confirming position with crankshaft TDC marks.
Ignition timing should be set at 10 degrees BTDC. (you need a timing light for this)

No, DON’T “button down the [spark] plugs a little harder”! If you do, you’ll will be asking, here, some time in the future, “How do I remove these tight spark plugs?”, and, you’ll ask, “Do spark plugs come out in two parts, a porcelain part and a stud part, with aluminum threads filling the steel threads?”.
Only, slight snugging (NOT heavy snugging), is all the spark plugs need…fifteen b[/b] pounds of torque; not, the 75+ pounds of torque one can apply with a 3/8" ratchet handle.
After verifying the spark plug wiring order, push the spark plug wires firmly into the distributor cap, and onto the spark plugs. Make sure that the metal terminals, of the spark plug wires, are spread enough to “click” when you push them into the distributor cap and the ignition coil. A new set of spark plug wires, I recently installed, had a terminal, for the ignition coil, which was under-sized, and did not make good contact. Spread the terminal until it clicks when you push it in.
Yes, you do need a Haynes, or similar, repair manual. You’ve been working on something for two weeks which a repair manual could have answered in much shorter time. AND, and older cars needs MORE maintenance, NOT less.
Your 1993 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V6 engine distributor rotor rotates, and cap is numbered, and the spark plug wires are connected as shown in this article at Auto Zone.com. To see the stuff, you register there, come back here, and click this link > http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?chapterTitle=Firing+Orders&partName=Component+Replacement&pageId=0900c15280062ed0&partId=0900c15280062ee9

Art1996 & hellokit: I thought I had crossed only plug wites in bank #1, but had also somehow crossed them in bank #2, so the car was likely misfiring on about four cylinders. Amazing it still ran?though barely. According to the firing order and dist cap numbering per art1996, I went back and looked at all the leads, realized my error, ordered the leads-to-cap correctly, made sure all terminals were snug, and?Voil??the engine purrs beautifully! So I owe you all a big thanks for great advice and feedback. Will NOT torque plugs too tight and I will spring for the Haynes manual.

Hi guys,

Well my engine is now running smoothly, no hesitation under even acceleration at all. So that’s good, and thanks again to everyone for the timely, accurate help.

However…About three days after I replaced the cap, plugs, wires, and rotor, the “Engine Check” light came on again!

OK, so now I really do want to access the codes and find out what’s the problem.

My understanding, from previous messages sent to me on this thread, is that I can access the codes on the test block by simply connecting the brown wire to the gray/red wire on test block. I can use a jumper for this. OK, good, but want to check on the jumper. Will an ordinary piece of copper wire with an alligator clip on either end be sufficient to make this jump?

Yes, that should work, but be careful not to short to anything. That is, make sure your are connecting ONLY to the wires or piuns you want.

However, I do suggest that you start a new thread on this new topic. The topic is buried so far in your “O2 Sensors” thread that some of the helpers might think they have already seen the whole thing. Try something like “How to read codes on '93 Taurus?”

Good luck.