Overheating car need help

No need. You can always post pictures here, it would be very entertaining. I am accustomed to seeing 20-year old cars with the interior in excellent condition, clearly you are accustomed to seeing rolling trash heaps that aren’t even 10 years old.

Weren’t you one of the people who told me not to repair my Daewoo because they were low-quality cars when new, designed to be disposable, etc? However, after I did the engine repairs, it became a decent-running car, actually one of the more comfortable cars I have ever owned.

If the OP’s Chrysler 200 is in decent overall condition, it is quite possible that doing the engine repairs will result in good long-term reliability. Many cars have a reputation for being poor quality/disposable, but when owners treat them that way, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Someone needs to get more experience with vehicles :wink:

2 Likes

Chryslers have poor reliability and low resale? But repairs are more expensive then better brands? Are chrys motors so delicate they cannot be repaired? Only replaced?
Used motor $1500 near me. Install is more

2014 is definitely not over the hill. I live in the rust salt belt. Generally 2010 seems to be the point in which you look very closely to structure or mechanical failures with catastrophic wear. Some will be very good and some will be absolutely shot. That is not to say you wouldn’t run into a 2014 that’s absolutely junk, but generally they have the potential for many more miles on them.

That sounds like something I would say. Now that doesn’t mean I think they are bad cars, it’s just been my experience that these cars don’t age as well as others and do not tolerate deferred maintenance like some cars that have a better reputation.

Also, it’s one thing for a guy like you who can.do his own work and has alternate transportation available. When I work on your car, it’s $120-$160 per hour plus markup on parts. You keep paying, I’ll keep fixing, but at some point you may be “upside down” in a car with a repaired engine but a slipping trans.

Look at it this way. If my goal is to have a reliable hvac system for my home, you may advise me to get rid of this

and put in this

This is an older car. Towed-in, no start, customer drove without coolant until the engine stopped. $3200 for a used engine plus other parts and labor, no answer from the customer. This car has been taking up space for 15 days.

That looks like possibly a very nice car in the right hands, but a POS in the wrong hands (that it probably was in). I’d rather have a used Chrysler that someone took care of than a used Lexus that someone trashed.

1 Like

What a shame. That looks like an ES300 from the early 2000s. A great car when it was new, but apparently this one was involved in an accident, and probably has a poor interior as well. I would be embarrassed to drive a car in that condition. It’s not like it’s that difficult or expensive to replace the bumper cover, headlights, and fenders with junkyard parts or aftermarket versions bought online.

I guess with the mechanical damage and body damage, this one is not worth saving.

What’s easy for you may be a monumental task for someone else. The damage in the pic would easily be $3000 to someone not mechanically inclined.

Point of view comes into play about age of cars. I suspect those of us regulars who don’t turn wrenches professionally take better care of our vehicles than the average bear, and forget we are, in fact above average in that regard. Before I bought my current ride brand new 2 years ago, I was driving a 2007 Ram, which I considered fairly new. But it was 12 years old with 140K miles on it! Because I kept up with maintenance and repairs, I never really noticed the age (bought in 2014 with 117K on the clock).

But back in the Jurassic era when I was working in a garage, I remember being a little appalled at the condition of some of the relatively new cars that rolled in.

As our resident professional wrenches have attested to, a 2014 can be in near showroom condition, totally clapped out, or anything in between.

4 Likes

You should see them by the time I get them :grin:.

5 Likes

Back in my gas jockey days, I was frequently shocked/appalled by what I observed when I lifted customers’ hoods for fluid checks. Prior to that, I naively thought that everyone maintained his car as well as my family did.

What was the most appalling was the not-uncommon phenomenon of a customer asking for us to “check the radiator”, but not mentioning that his engine was overheating when he pulled into the station. :rage:
After one of my co-workers had his arm scalded in one of these incidents, the station manager posted a sign: No radiator checks at the gas pumps!

We would instruct people who wanted a radiator check to pull over in front of the service bays, and once they got there they were informed by the manager that he would be glad to check their radiator if they waited 20 minutes or so for the radiator to cool-down a bit. Most of those folks simply drove away in their (probably) overheating car. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I had the same issue with my 2004 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner 2.7L but after working on vehicles where the owner put in that stop leak into the radiator and seeing the damage to the coolant system blocking up the works and not fixing the issues. I had a complete gasket kit, but just got out of the hospital with two blood clots one in each lung. after 1 week in Hospital on blood thinners and now home on blood thinner drug. I could not afford to do the head gasket one simple scratch of your knuckles would be an emergency visit back to the hospital. So, I posted the truck on Craig’s List for $2,500 as a Project Truck or mechanic special asked not low ballers and got Many offering hundreds over my asking price the first was a Honda Mechanic offered $3,500 Cash next in line wanted it for $4K
but I decided to sell it to the first guy at $3,500 cash.