Overheating car and leaking engine

Whatever is cheaper for him is what i hope.
Again … picture is identical to what I saw in mine = $700 total repairs, as described in suggestions
His honest mechanic will determine what’s needed and hopefully he will reply to satisfy your diagnostics.

As for me, no replies required. Not in this to debate what’s what, just reporting what my deal was in case it helps anyone in the same wonder I once was.

I’m replying, based on what I see, and I’m giving advice as to diagnosis, which should give definitive answers

It seems to me, you are responding, based on your personal experiences with essentially the same car

We’re coming at this from different angles

If the cooling system is holding pressure ok – assuming that’s already been measured, that would tend to say the head gasket isn’t the problem. YOu might want to have the cooling system pressure test repeated, and ask them to push the pressure up a little higher maybe. Sometimes that will be enough to cause whatever gasket is failing to fail, and coolant will start seeping out, showing you the failure point. Also, common sense dictates the thermostat housing gasket be replaced before assuming this is a head gasket problem.

And remember that a cooling system pressure test doesn’t necessary test the radiator (or pressure bottle) cap. That has to be tested separately.

If further testing – for example that there’s indications of exhaust gasses in the coolant – confirms db’s theory that the head gasket is indeed leaking, OP could ask their mechanic to try re-torqueing the head bolts. Might work.