Our Prius is hard on tires

With our 07 Prius we get 54 mpg always (I could get higher)! That’s mostly freeway/country road miles in Santa Cruz, CA area by my wife who drives 60-70 mph if possible, but not on country roads. At 400 mi/week it will pay off in about 4 years (at $3/gal). I did not buy “green” for philosophy. It’s practical.

Our Prius at 37k miles our factory Goodyear tires are getting close (the rear tires are at 3/32 or 4/32", but have been for awhile) and the fronts are better because of the batter weight in the back. My dealer recommends Yokohama Avid (86S) for P185/65 R15 (they don’t give a good reason other than that seems to make people happy). These are $105 each at the dealer, but a local tire shop has them for $60 each. Add $40 for mounting all, $25 for road hazard, and you end up with $300 for a set of 4 installed. Other tires recommended that I’ve read about are Michelin Pilot, Bridgestone Teranza, and Goodyear Integrity. You can do your own shopping.

I agree with not rotating: every 5k miles adds up. At $5/tire, that’s $20/visit. In 40K, that’s $160. I don’t rotate unless it’s included in purchase or I see signs of wear. However, your 88k for first tires seems weirdly high. You drive on ice or snow? None of my cars got that, and I’m a very frugal driver in every sense! At $100+ per tire, we’ll have saved almost two tires by not rotating when replacing (better at lower prices). I figure that’s worth the risk of not rotating.

If the Prius were a GM, Ford, etc. it would be a miracle. This is one well engineered car. But most cars are. It is just a “small” car that cost more. That said, except for Ford Focus, all domestics (and Mazda) underwhelm me each time I rent them. My prediction is that the Chevy Volt will never appear as a true competitor because of high cost and late project completion (lots of hype, no metal on the road).

Thanks For The Reply. 300 Bucks For Four Tires Installed Is Quite Reasonable.

37,000 miles and 3/32 - 4/32 remaining isn’t great, but reasonable. What’s up with the guy on his third set of tires at 88,000 miles?

We do drive on snow and ice for half the year. Are you thinking that improves tire wear? That’s possible, but it could touch off a debate. Some might argue that it causes more wear. I don’t know of any studies on that topic.

By the way, your MPG is outstanding !

My family members can’t use a car like a Prius because it doesn’t meet our minimum car size parameters, even if we had dealer support here. We have no foreign car dealers within 100 mile radius and just about all the vehicles on the road are large Big-3 cars, SUVs, and pick-ups.