Other options over AAA

In fairness (and no I’m not a shill for AAA) that’s not really AAA’s fault. The driver took the dispatch from AAA, drove all the way out there, and then suddenly decided he was going to be a jerk and not do the tow. He should have told AAA’s dispatch up front that it was outside of his zone. I wouldn’t be surprised if he billed AAA for the trip.

I’ve had AAA for over 15 years and found them to be the best for my needs.
I did try all the others mentioned ,and came back to AAA

Have you tried the AARP road side assistance program and if so how did it differ from AAA? I am considering switching to it maybe.

I have it, have never used it, but here is a link to options and prices.

http://www.aarproadside.com/AARP/forwardTo.do?pageName=compare_plans

Wow I just noticed from allstate at the top, that is not what I expected or wanted to see.

“I am a HUGE anti pepboys person…”

I’ve had bad experiences with them, too. But it was at one location. I couldn’t start my Buick and was on the other side of town; about 20 miles away. My insurer will tow to the nearest Pep Boys or to another shop of my choice that is no farther away. I didn’t know any shops over there, and had it towed to Pep Boys. This shop did a good job and didn’t run me around the bush. Like with all shops, I think it is how it is managed. You can find good or bad indy shops, and good or bad chain shops.

I have checked out that site and like the prices, but can’t seem to find out what the “family” plan includes family wise. If we go with it, I wonder if it would cover my dad, me and my sister in that plan.

Allstate issue?

There we were driving up 1 from Big Sur towards Carmel, some Dr. from LA was letting his unlicensed son drive. After rounding a turn, the kid had freaked and come to a complete stop, as he was scared by a car coming up the hill.

I rounded the turn, saw the brakelights, slowed, but realized too late he had come to a complete stop. Being a wet dewy morning on a downhill slope, once I slammed on the brakes I hit them hard enough to flatten the point of the bumper on my ranchero, No damage to their car but just enough that the point on the bumper went away, and that resulted into pushing the radiator onto the fan blade and shredding the radiator completely. They got a ticket for unnecessary stopping, driving wthout a license, but 6 months later they claimed whiplash, allstate paid and dropped (cancelled my insurance policy) a 10 year client with no previous accidents (me). So I got towed to Carmel, sold the car to a mechanic for $265 scrap value and never got a cent from allstate.

The quickest towing is paying outright. AAA and other set rates for tow companies are generally lower.

Well, wife got stuck again, this time the brake master cylinder on the van went. I tried putting fluid in and pumping it to maybe drive it to the shop or home, no brake at all. So a free tow on thanks giving eve…priceless.

I am a master certified technician. I have AAA coverage. The last thing I want to do on a trip or vacation is worry about car problems miles away from my tool box.

If you get AAA coverage, get the premium coverage. That applies to all companies that offer road side assistance.

Shop around for the road side assistance company that best suites your needs.

I had a blowout on the left front tire on a busy interstate. I pulled off into the breakdown lane, but there was no way I was going to change the tire with the cars whizzing past. I called AAA and they said they would make it in a hour. The wrecker was there in 20 minutes. The warning lights on the wrecker slowed down the traffic. He had a pneumatic wrench and jack and the tire was changed in less than 5 minutes. For that incident alone, membership in AAA was worth it for me.

My wife likes the travel guides that are available and we often get AAA discounts at hotels. This is a further advantage of AAA for us.

I have nothing but praise for AAA over the 11 years we have been with them, I am just seeing what else is available and how their services might stack up against AAA.