Old Plow Truck-Advice needed

Thanks for the information dagosa. I’ll be careful to consider such things when/if I get a plow vehicle.

@Mrs Triedaq…a husband giving his wife a snowplow for Christmas so SHE can go out and plow? now I’ve heard everything!

Gave my wife an oreck for Christmas, she was happy!

Make certain any truck you buy has fuel injection instead of a carburator. Older doesn’t always mean easier to work on. I owned a '85 Ford Bronco II that was carburated, and had miles of vacuum tubing. Detroit was learning how to do low emissions before cumputers. Their attempts didn’t always work out so well. The plugs on this thing were miserable to get at, and the oddball carburator was an expensive to replace. Ford finally switched to fuel injection. I later bought a '90 Bronco II with a 4.3 V6 that was a MUCH better vehicle. They’d pretty much worked things out by then.

^ +1

I had a 1986 F250 with a spaghetti of vacuum hoses for emissions. I had to replace the carburetor and it was a nightmare. The truck never ran right after that.

That was my experience with the '85. At the time, Minnesota had emissions inspections, and it was always tough getting that thing to pass.

For a while, they had mechanics whose specialty was getting your vehicle to pass inspections. It would run like a POS, but it would pass. Then, once you got that all important peice of paper in your hands soyou could renew your tabs, you went back and they’d reset everyting to make it drive decently again.

They did a cost analysis, and discovered that the vast majority of cars were passing, and it was a waste of money for the testing program, so they shut it down.