Oil usage in 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6

After you get an idea of how much oil it’s actually using, let us know. Good luck with the car.

I certainly will close the loop on this issue with you guys.
And again, thank you!!

For your amusement.

Update.
No problem since the last posting on 1/1. I had been checking oil about weekly.
And yes, my mechanic had verified with me that I knew how to check and evaluate the oil readings on the dipstick.:innocent:
On 2/25/2018, it was almost a quart low. Checked it about 5 times since I was so surprised. (But ugh…I forgot that the car was supposed to be on a level spot on the ground. It was in a driveway that has an incline.)

The mileage was 3292 post last oil change, oil last added at 1971, the day before my last post.
So a loss of 3/4 of a quart in 1300 miles.
(Total mileage on this car is about 72000 now.)
Anyway, I added 3/4 of a quart. Drove 60 miles. Checked the oil on level ground the next morning and it was 3/4 quart overfilled.
I took the car in that morning to Foreign Auto Experts because I was nervous about so much oil and he said it was ok to be overfilled at the level it was. He also said something about oil issues with a Subie are just tricky. He did not use that word but that was the gist.

So, is checking oil on level ground a critical factor?
The mechanic said not being on level ground would not likely make a difference of 3/4 of a quart.

Many thanks.

Level ground can be important. It depends on the direction of the slope and the construction of the engine. Best to just have it level.

1 Like

Yup

as you saw for yourself, it can make a substantial difference

And I agree that being overfilled by 3/4 of a quart shouldn’t cause any loss of sleep

3 Likes

Since buying my 2014 Outback 3.6 over 2 years ago, I have had 2 instances where the oil was about 2 quarts low immediately following having the oil changed. Yes. Not enough oil was added. They didn’t know or forgot that this vehicle takes 7 quarts of oil (more counting a new oil filter). And one of these times it was at a DEALER (dealer employees also come in all shapes and skill levels). So no oil leaks and no, it was not burning oil and no, there was no sensor issue. Always check oil level in this vehicle after a change. Too many people doing oil changes do not know more oil is required in these engines, and apparently are too busy to check the level after changing it.