Oil reads empty and full

I’ve noticed that some folks that have commented and recommend checking oil cold, also suggest removing the stick, wiping it clean, reinserting it, and then removing it to check.

I get false readings on some of my vehicles doing that, sometimes as bad as checking at operating temperature.

With engine cold, I simply open the hood, lift the stick up enough to read the level (without even removing it!) and push it back down. No wiping. Voila!

The oil leaves a distinct level line on the stick. This method gives me the most accurate reading, not to mention it’s the easiest, fastest, neatest way to check. Feel the magic!
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

The only car I ever had with a slow drainback of oil was a Merkur with the turbo OHC 2.3 liter Ford engine. Best checked first thing in the morning.

That’s because most car manufacturer’s tell you to do it that way in the owner’s manual. Except while the oil is warm, not cold. For example:

A lot depends on the oil conditions, stick design etc. If I check my cars cold, it almost always reads higher than after a wipe and recheck. Why? I suspect that the oil does not completely drain off the stick after running due to surface tension. But this isn’t rocket science and the level is not really that critical. It should be somewhere between low and full. That’s usually a quart of tolerance in the reading…

2 Likes

I think that some oils have some “creep” to them. A dipstick partially submerged in oil overnight will show a higher reading after being wiped off and re-inserted. I had noticed this with my lawnmowers I used to use 30 weight Pennzoil in.

1 Like

To me, the bottom line is to learn which oil checking method works most consistently and most accurately for your particular vehicle(s), and to check regularly (frequently) and maintain the level near "full."
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree: