Oil monitoring tip from Practical Sailor

IDK who Dave in Utah is, but I recall a character named “transman” (don’t google that) who used to visit and was a pro rebuilder. He always said something like 30-40K on the trans fluid/filter.

I’ve had a couple of notoriously problematic ones - the Dodge A604 and Ford 4FEAT - that I personally never had trouble with for well into the 200K miles range. I chalked it up to pan/filter every 30k or so. But who knows?

Of course, the best interval will vary with driving. Of my overall mileage, I do very little short trip & city street driving which matter a great deal.

The analysis differs, depending upon the number of years and miles expected before major engine repairs needed on a new car. If the buyer’s new car objective is to need no major engine repairs for 5 years and 100K miles, 10K oil change intervals are probably fine, provided the oil level is kept topped off b/t changes. 10K might not work as well if the expectations were for 20 years and 200K miles. There’s no “right” answer.

Just search in YouTube for Dave’s auto center Utah.

1 Like

I have to change my oil once a year to keep the warranty from toyota. Bought the 7 year 70k mike warranty near the end of lease in 2020. $1400. Taking it in next week for oil change and tire rotation. 2500 miles since last sept. oil change.

I am a 5,000 mile or 6 month oil change guy. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. All of the cars I have owned had engines that were still running well when I sold or traded them in. AC / body rust are another story. One car I traded in needed to have the A/C evaporator leak fixed, the cost to pull the dash was more than the car was worth but the engine was still solid.

1 Like

Hi Bing:
I did take a look at Dave’s advice. For the question of “How often should I change my oil?”, his website states:

Oil change intervals can vary based on your vehicle’s make, model, and usage. However, a general guideline is to change your engine oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles (4,800 to 8,000 kilometers) or every three to six months, whichever comes first. Modern vehicles and synthetic oils may allow for longer intervals, so it’s essential to consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for manufacturer-recommended oil change schedules.

Dave was not much help was he ? Just proves that oil discussion’s are pretty much a waste of time.

2 Likes

Dave likes to talk about high pressure fuel pumps crapping out. $10k for system overhaul?

Ah yes, the well-respected philosopher, Mr. Carlin.
He was so very often 100% spot on!

No wonder the mower I got from the trash with a broken spark plug spews white smoke. It must be all worn out from the never change the oil thing. They also use 10W30 now which is less forgiving to neglected oil changes than SAE 30.

Like a dog with a bone, aren’t you? Please show a link that proves that or stop posting this myth.

The best oil for air cooled engines is caster oil… And that stuff was used before WW1 deep into the 1960s in Porsches. But don’t neglect it… it gets very gummy when old.

1 Like

And the Snowflake is visible again…