Oil level

Just my 2 cents, but I think that “I’m not gonna top it off” is a mistake at this point.

Low oil level means higher oil temperatures which means more of a possibility of oil coking which means higher oil consumption which places you right back at the start of this sentence.

If there’s a warranty in effect you need to place any oil consumption issues on the dealer doorstep when it’s known they’re going to resolve a problem if it falls under the guidelines.

@“Toyota forever” That much consumption is deemed to be acceptable by the manufacturer. I like my cars not to use any and so far I think most of them have been so except toward the end of their lives. I also have issue with saying this is specific to certain makes. Toyota has had major oil consumption issues with the 2.5 engine in the Camry’s (I believe from 2007-2009 models).

My 2005 Camry does not use any (150 K miles). My 2013 Sonata uses very minute amounts, I am using Synthetic in it and go 5K between changes. I would say less than 0.25 qt and that is always in the last 1K miles. The 2015 Tucson is too new to me, so not sure.

All you can do is keep an eye on the consumption and if it gets worse, then ask the dealer to fix it.

I agree. Add a half quart. Do not wait.

See my previous post. That amount of oil use may be normal.

“I’m not gonna top it off. I wanna see how much lower its gonna get. And if it gets to the low line I’m taking it in. I don’t think this should be happening.”

I’d definitely top it off and keep track of usage. I don’t blame you for not being happy with this. My GM 3.8Ls with 200,000 to 300,000 miles don’t use that much oil between changes. I don’t think Toyota will help you, but you can try.

Also, besides forming the habit of checking oil level every week, you should monitor coolant level too. Additionally, check the ground beneath the engine when it’s parked on pavement, for any signs of a fluid leak. These habits are for used car owners and new cars owners, too. A new car turns into a used car as soon as it finds an owner.

GM forever,
CSA

So I checked it again this morning after the car was parked actually level this time over night at it was at the full mark. So everything is fine. Which is great @BillRussell @keith

Well maybe the three pages of comments will help someone else.

“Well maybe the three pages of comments will help someone else.”

Let’s hope so.

OK, great.

I add half-quarts, but I’m retired and have nothing better to do.
In truth, a quart down means the level is still well above that necessary to keep the pickup tube immersed even on steep hills, but I kind of like the mental image of dispersing any suspended contaminates among a bit more fluid, reducing their density. Does it make a difference? Probably not. But there is the off-chance that doing so might enable longer timing chain life, and it doesn’t cost anymore than waiting until it’s down a quart, so what the heck.

Since the OP really did not have a problem does that mean that my previous post was not really Off Topic?

Volvo, the problem with your previous post is that it wasn’t and attempt to help, just to criticize. Personal comments and criticisms alienate posters and cause these discussions to deteriorate rapidly into zones where nobody wants to go. What say we try not to engage in personal comments in the future?

@the same mountainbike
"I add half quarts, but I’m retired and have nothing better to do"

I am also retired, and I carry a pint (half quart) with me when I am working around the house. I don’t add it all at once–just a little at time. I seem to run better keeping the lubrication up to the full mark.

LOL, whatever works! :dizzy:

@“VOLVO V70”

You’ll see that I “liked” your comment. And I’m not the only one

In fact, I like your style in general, as far as this website is concerned :star:

Just curious @db4690 … what exactly was it about Volvo’s comment that you liked? Volvo is certainly free to express their opinion. And some of Volvo’s comments are helpful. But that particular comment in question seemed to not be helpful to the OP’s question at all.

@GeorgeSanJose

I like the kind of comments he makes

Nothing wrong with

Please don’t get upset, but I don’t particularly feel like mentioning the exact reason(s) I like his kind of comments

And if I did, it might get ugly. Not because I said something rude. But because some of the other regulars might want to think “the worst” of me

Then again, everybody is entitled to an opinion

And nobody has to like my opinion

And vice versa :smiley: