Oil just gets better and better?

I’ve got about 15 large jugs of pre-tested engine oil lying around. Since it’s claimed to be better than new maybe I should sell it for 3 or 4 bucks a quart instead of recycling it…

In all seriousness, that premise is bunk.

OK4450, You can buy the rights to my idea for 51% of your gross profits. Patent pending…I beat you by a couple of days (see above).

Like with pre-faded blue jeans: I’ll pass.

We’ll negotiate the 51%… :slight_smile:

Circuitsmith, I thank you sincerely for the links. I find them fascinating, especialy the SAE link. I haven’t had time yet to read the presented “papers”, but hope to. I’m guessing tha the subject may be more complicated than it at first appears. Oils have to lubricate, but they also need enough viscosioty to withstand the pressures between the crank and the main bearings, the rod bearings, etc. Liquid Wrench is thinner and slippery than 10W40, but it won’t stand up to the pressures. Crankshafts withstand large lateral forces, and if the oil can’t hold up you’ll destroy the mains. The whole reason differentials use 75W and up is to withstand the pressures.

The iron content curve also leaves me with questions. How could the iron content drop over time? I saw the comment about the deposition, but where does that path go? If iron molecules were deposited on the wear surfaces, why would an engine ever wear out? And how could that leave room for oil to be retained on the cylinder surfaces, necessary to provide a fluid surface for the compression rings to slide on, after the oil wiper ring goes by?

I’m fascinated, but reluctant at this time to change my practices. I need to find out more.

Car engines are getting better too. With computer aided designs, we took a big leap forward in metallurgy and lubrication efficiency. I would guess that even without oil improvements, oil change intervals could be lengthened. Just making motors burn more efficiently leaves fewer contaminants in the oil. Oil has had to keep up with these engine changes as well…running hotter seems to be the name of the game in efficiency. It’s all working together to lengthen oil life and not oil alone.