Oil filter disposal fee

+1 additionally, some dealerships or other mechanics may take it for you too

Our town has annual Hazardous Waste Collection days.
Getting rid of antifreeze isn’t cheap. I forget what I paid the recyclers on the last collection day they had, but I recall thinking it was about half the cost of new antifreeze.

@George_San_Jose1 , did you know about this?
https://hhw.sccgov.org/home

The “cost” for disposing of this stuff at my county’s facilities is showing proof of residency.

1 Like

Same here

There’s a City sanitation facility that takes hazardous waste every Saturday and Sunday

But they only take tires during special events throughout the year

It’s only five times per year in my county, but they rotate the location each time to a different county garage so that it is convenient for people in various parts of the county. The schedule and the locations are included in a late December mailing each year, and they even include stickers to place on your next year calendar as reminders.

A tire disposal fee was enacted several decades ago here in OK. If someone from out of state moves here they also get charged a tire disposal fee simply because of the title change from one state to the other. It varies based on tire size.

Unfortunately, some old tires middlemen have chosen over the years to dump those tires out in the country rather than recycle them. Fat lot of good the statute does. Get paid for recycling and dump them anyway…
Some years ago someone found a huge amount of old tires dumped along a creek. Around 10k of them and this has happened more than once.

They also rotate the special events that take tires and bigger items

The permanent location that takes hazardous waste . . . engine oil, coolant, old paint, electronics, etc. . . . is open year round, and you’re welcome to drop off those things every Saturday and Sunday

The manager of our waste water treatment plant said jut dump it down the toilet, the bugs (whatever bacterial? process) love that stuff. Check first with your treatment center.

[quote=“Barkydog, post:29, topic:181400”]
The manager of our waste water treatment plant said jut dump it down the toilet, the bugs (whatever bacterial? process) love that stuff. Check first with your treatment center.
[/quote]a

That is what they they say ln my area also it is good for septic tanks.

1 Like

Ethylene glycol, which makes up automotive antifreeze, is very poisonous. It should never be dumped on the ground or left where animals can get to it. It is also damaging to a septic system . It can kill off the good bacteria living in your septic tank.

Tester

5 Likes

As a animal owner I am well aware of that fact. As far as the tank goes I thought the same as you but the water treatment people seem to think different.

1 Like

Tester

3 Likes

My comment concerned ethylene glycol, though we do have a dump site open 24x375 I use for antifreeze - coolant. Don’t want to deal with possibly messing up the house.

Propylene glycol is added to food and beverages to improve taste and texture. It is not antifreeze . It is considered safe to use in the amount present in foods. Is Propylene Glycol the Same As Antifreeze? | BestFoodFacts.org

That’s why I don’t change my own anti-freeze. I have a well and septic system. To much to risk contaminating them.

Thanks, yes I already know about that method.

I do my own oil changes so who knows? Oil and filter disposal are free in my county at the recycling center.

Now if you have bought paint in Minnesota the last few years, you pay a $1 or $2 fee up front for recycling. It is never in any paint add that I have ever seen. Treated like sales tax which is never listed in ads. But you can take you old paint to the retailer as part of the bargain.

We pay a lot for our trash collection, but they do take drain oil if it’s in gallon milk jugs, and they leave you an empty one, too. They also take oil filters in a plastic bag. And, if you call and set up a date they take bulky waste once or twice a year, including tires, furniture, appliances. We pay a recycling fee when we buy a tire, paint, beverage cans and bottles and also for electronics. A hazmat collection site takes chemicals, paint, old gasoline, antifreeze, electronics, at no extra fee for local residents. But as I wrote, we pay a lot for waste collection.

Ever notice, some items have both a core charge and a disposal fee?
I no longer do my own oil or coolant maintenance. Just air, cabin and engine, filters and adding windshield washer fluid.
I do change the oil&filter on my lawn mower. Our hazardous waste disposal is free for residents, so that’s about a once a year trip.
Something they used to do was filter and blend latex paint and give the recycled paint to residents, but I guess that is now shipped elsewhere.

They all do. Some just itemize for you. If the oil change place is being charged for disposal then they are going to past the cost to the consumer.