Oil Change?

Thanks everyone who answered my question. I went out and immediately had a oil and filter change this afternoon. I reset the OLM. I will watch the mileage and see if it will come on this round of miles.

Question though. Are you physically checking the oil level with the dipstick on a regular basis between the oil changes?

If the OLM light malfunctions, this could be detrimental to the car?s engine.

If it malfunctions the car will not run right. A sensor would have to be malfunctioning. It reads the same data and is integrated into the PCM. It’s software. Marvelous stuff that cannot wear out. [b]

This feature on the vehicle, should not replace standard maintenance procedures. Once the light is on that means its time to change the oil and it?s time right now. [/b]

You obviously haven’t ever owned on nor researched it. It gives you a 500 mile window where it doesn’t provide a % number. Also the whole thing itself has a safety factor built into it. It’s an amazing innovation brought to the automobile, GM in particular. Others aren’t nearly as accurate or fine tuned. Even the ultra sophisticated Euro’s use an actual oil sensor. Try having that go bad on you and find that your brilliant Teutonic’s have a healthy $600 bill for you.

I would exercise caution in waiting for the computer to make this detection or extending changing your oil beyond 3000 miles.

You’ve got to be retired. 3000 miles was old news in the 70’s. Unleaded fuel, vastly improved fuel management, and radically improved oil chemistry has made 3000 miles a great way to keep quick lubes and dealer service bays full for them to sell you other services. Oil is just not oil anymore. There is something called progress.

HOWEVER: If I had to advise some “babe in the woods” …someone who didn’t have a clue … gave you a deer in the headlights stare when you mention “dip stick” …then 3000 miles would be about the only recommendation sensible, simply due to their ignorance.

Thanks everyone who answered my question. I went out and immediately had a oil and filter change this afternoon. I reset the OLM. I will watch the mileage and see if it will come on this round of miles.

Next time don’t reset the OLM. Find out what it would have told you.

Just to satisfy some Chicken Little’s …there are indeed times where the OLM will indicate that a 3500 miles OCI is required. There are also times that it indicates a 13k mile OCI. That’s how varied service duties can be and how much of a safety factor is employed to account for consumer variance with the “static” mileage/time recommendations.

Regardless of OLM indications, a ONE YEAR limit is suggested/recommended in the owners manual.

Yes, original engine and transmission, nothing rebuilt, but a few parts changed over the years (valve stem seals, carb, alternator and regular maintenance items). Original clutch, too. Rocketman

Dirty oil is dirty oil. If you trust / need a computer program to tell you what to do, and accept that programs calculations before you will accept your own observations, Good Luck…

New engines have very little blow-by and can go a long ways without needing an oil change. As engines wear, blow-by increases and oil should be changed more frequently.

Regardless, if oil LOOKS clean, it IS clean…If it LOOKS dirty, it IS dirty. “But my dash light say’s it still has 60% life remaining”. That’s great. Again, good luck…

“Windows has detected OLM System Failure. Windows has also detected impending engine failure. Windows is now shutting down. Your vehicle will need to be re-booted by an authorized and licensed Dealer. Have a Nice day”.

Guess the OP is not going to return with an answer as to whether they ever raise their own hood or not.

The blanket statement that a car does not need an oil change every 3k miles, or 3/4 months, is also incorrect. Some cars may need it every 2k depending on just how severe the driving habits are and the environmental conditions; unless one assumes that every spec of dirt is stopped by the air filter and moisture in the air does not exist.

One of my sisters in law puts about 2-3k miles a year on her car and this vehicle seldom ever travels more than 2 miles from a stone cold start. About 98% of her driving is never more than a 1/2 mile and the thermostat never even has a chance to open. Her oil should be changed every 3 months; which does not happen of course.

And she was wondering why her last vehicle suffered a sludging problem… :wink:
(And nope, she doesn’t listen either)

But those short trips are exactly what the OLM system can watch for…