Oil Change Interval for 0W-20 oil

Here’s an anecdotal experience in the other direction:
My BIL is about to get rid of his 2015 Forester with 68K miles because the engine needs a $2500 repair, related to variable valve timing.
He got second and third opinions.
How often did he change the oil? Every 3000 miles, about 4 months.

FWIW, I’ve changed the oil in my last 3 cars every 5000 miles or 12 months, typically 9 months.
With COVID looks like I’ll be at 12 months and 2000 miles.

I’m doing the same, and not to save water, but to get a benefit of no-spot rinse with free distilled water :slight_smile:

That’s pretty much what I do with my Corolla. My daily commute is 9 miles each way with a stretch of 3 miles where the speed limit is 40 mph and there are minimal traffic lights.

1 Like

Similar to my folks, 40mph back roads to get into town 3mi away,maybe 5 miles of freeway after that. 9mo intervals for the Prius or about 6,000ni. Still calls the mechanic to check when the message comes on at 5k

There’s a roadway here in the St. Louis area called Forest Park Parkway (because it runs past Forest Park). It’s maybe 5 miles long and just peters out at I-170 on the west end and merges with Market St. on the east end. At that point I’m almost at work. It’s my main route. The speed limit is 40 mph most of the way and there aren’t many traffic signals except where it runs past Washington University. It drops off to 30 mph at Kingshighway Blvd. where the BJC Hospital complex is. It’s actually better than taking I-64.

1 Like

Hi ptesterman:
Are you thinking of a timing belt instead of a chain? Your question is valid for a timing belt.

Yes, you’re right - I mixed them up.

I knew it! Changing the oil kills the car! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

FWIW, I typically get the oil changed on my A4 about every 7500 miles. I admittedly don’t have evidence for that, either; it’s more the fact that it’s a high compression engine with a turbo so I figure it probably degrades the oil a bit faster.

I did find this article The main point I took away was that when they followed the oil life monitor in the cars they tested and then tested the oil it was still doing its job and had another 2000 miles of life in it. Of course my daughter’s camry doesn’t have an oil life monitor in it, so I’m back to where I was before.

Timing chains have timing chain covers that have gaskets. There is oil passages that to lubricate the chain. A couple of engines I’ve worked on the oil pan bolts into the timing chain cover.

A timing belt doesn’t need lubrication. It also has a cover, but no gasket involved and definitely no oil passages. If there’s oil there - it’s a problem (probably a bad cam seal).

Back to the original question. You need to review the maintenance schedule again. It calls for a maintenance cycle every 5000 miles or six months. That is for tire rotation. Oil change is every other maintenance cycle or 10k miles or one year, except for severe duty when it is done every maintenance cycle.

My daughter has a 2014 Camry that does mostly city driving. I found that the oil filter had sludge in it with 10k oil changes so we moved the schedule up to 7500 miles. The maintenance book also does not call for things like transmission fluid or coolant changes, just an inspection every 30k miles or 3 years.

There is no dipstick so checking the ATF is not an easy thing to do. I did her 90k last month and I’m getting concerned about the coolant so I will be changing it when the weather cools down a little.

You will be right on schedule, replacing the coolant is part of the 100,000 mile service.

It says 100k on the bottle, but the owners manual does not specify a change interval, only check it every 30k miles.

The maintenance information is in the maintenance guide.
Replace engine coolant is the 4th item on the list.

Foot note #3
Initial replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter. Refer to
“Engine Coolant” in the “Explanation of Maintenance Items” section in the back of this guide for more information.

That is not the Maintenance Log in my daughters vehicle. I don’t know why. But it’s going to get done none the less. I will look again next time she is up here, I could have just missed it but I looked several times.