OBD1 to OBD2 adapter for chip tuning on older cars

Sure. And it would do exactly for your Merc as it did for your Jeep… so nothing.

If it did actually work, it would have to be configured to work specifically with the Ford ECU, not the Jeep ECU and have calibration parameters effective in the Merc rather than those effective in the Jeep. They are not universal.

So if I purchase the 1997 Merc chip tuner from Thornton I should be able to slap that in my '94?
And if you believe Thornton is a scam what chip tuner would you recommend?

Slaps forehead…

I am out.

2 Likes

I doubt if anyone on this site that is a regular is going to say spend money on a chip tuner . If they are so great than why don’t they come on the vehicle to start with .

3 Likes

From their web site, note the big red X for Dyno under DashCommand:

I had thought the same thing until I purchased a tuner that eliminated all throttle lag. Why would they purposely add a delay to acceleration? I don’t know, and frankly, I don’t care, but I do know that the tuner I’m using has added a responsiveness that it didn’t originally have. So, with the effect being proven in my mind, I think it is very possible that there are multiple other upgrades it can offer.

Vehicle manufactures must meet stringent emissions standards, engine control module programming modifications make changes in favor of more power. That is a common modification for turbo diesel engines.

1 Like

I very much doubt these chips offer any real improvement, unlike the few legitimate performance chips that are out there. Key indicator - Chips available for every make and model out there.

Here’s a detailed discussion of the scam nature of this chip:
Thorton Top Speed OBDII Cat Performance Chip Tuner Review / Teardown – PerformanceChipGuide

This comment is purely for your entertainment. I know nothing about chip tuners nor do I care about 0-60. I do know something about scams though.

When I was 17, a jc Whitney catalog was a wonderful thing to have. There were so many miracles in them like pills to bring a dead battery back to life and paint that actually looked like chrome. Hard to argue with the hype.

When I had a flip phone and my BIL had a smart phone, the question of what the temp was would come up. He’d pull his phone out, punch weather, and announce the temp. I’d pull my flip phone out, punch a number in it and show him what my phone said. He never caught on.

Everything in JC Whitney would improve performance, gas mileage, and longevity, even Winky the Cat gave you those benefits!

4 Likes