Nontoxic windshield wiper fluid

I guess it is “less toxic” than the other. Either way, I probably use a couple gallons a year so am not too worried about it. Ammonia also breaks down pretty well.

The “non-toxic” variety is a lot cheaper and works well, provided it is warm outside. I always buy it in the summer when I don’t have to be concerned about freezing.

There is a new refrigerant around that is environmentally friendly. I found out about this because my 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage has it. I looked it up and it is still a greenhouse gas many times over CO2, methane, and the like but isn’t nearly as bad as what came before it.

I think our quiet hours are from 10 at night to 7 in the morning. Not by ordinance but part of our deed restrictions. I can’t function that early in the morning but am careful to shut the garage door at night if I’m using the router, grinder, saw, etc. but no one has complained. If I could get those dang birds to shut up though in the morning . . .

Birds in the morning…

There is a woodpecker that nests in the trees in my back yard. I can put up with the pecking on the trees, but the incessant pecking on the gutter just outside our bedroom has got to stop. Opening or closing a window near him works, but not before we are rudely awakened by the din of his pecking.

Have you considered buying a hawk?

Um, .22 bird shot. Bye bye woody. A potato makes a silencer (I think but never tried it).

It’s the lawn service companies that show up at my neighbors at 6am on a Saturday or Sunday that bother me.
You would like the subdivision a friend of mine moved into, grass can only be cut 9 to 4 Monday through Friday, and no pickup trucks or vehicles such as vans with business names (Joe the Plumber etc.) can be parked on the street or driveway if not a service call.
Had another friend buy a house on Christmas Lane, only to find out they were required by covenants to have an extravagant? Christmas light display as drivers who wanted to see this special street were encouraged to leave donations for a local homeless food pantry.

A real estate covenant that is contrary to either state or federal laws is not legally enforceable.
Many years ago, there was a community in NJ that had covenants requiring that property could be sold/transferred only to people who are Caucasian. When somebody finally challenged that covenant in court in the 1980s, it collapsed faster than Chris Christie’s diet plan.
:kissing:

Probably not. If the bullet is supersonic, you still get that whipcrack noise we often associate with .22 rifles. Subsonic .22 target ammo doesn’t need a silencer if the barrel is 24 inches long or longer.
Also, just about every songbird you can think of is “protected”.

@bing, I like my freedom. If I discharge a firearm in my neighborhood, I might end up in jail, silencer or not. The bird is annoying, but not every weekend. I’d rather live with the annoyance that try to kill it. Where does the bird shot land anyway? In a neighbor’s roof? In a neighbor?

Why would you shoot at a neighbor or a neighbor’s roof? Obviously you have never shot bird shot. It is a very short range because instead of one projectile as in a rifle, it has many small projectiles as in a shot gun. So it doesn’t go very far. Besides that it is very hard on the rifling in the rifle barrel. But it is very safe in confined areas, not like a .22 bullet that can travel a mile and glance off of rocks and even water. But I understand about staying out of jail. That was a different discussion and they don’t have internet there-at least in Minnesota so I’m told.

Does no one have a sense of humor anymore? I gotta go check my wiper fluid and oil.

Just owning a silencer, even an improvised one, without the required paperwork and tax stamp can land you in prison in the U.S. Curiously, in many European countries, if you can own a firearm, you can own a silencer for it, and in some regions, the use of a silencer is required for hunting, for the same reason mufflers are required on cars. They don’t really make a rifle silent, they just make it loud instead of deafening. It’s something that Hollywood gets hilariously wrong. A bullet flying through the air at mach 2+ still makes a heck of a racket.
But then cars don’t burst into flames for everything north of a fender bender either in the real world either.
Yes bird shot decelerates very rapidly.
From Lyman’s Shotshell Reloading manual, 9th edition.
Size 8 shot:
Three yards from muzzle 1255 ft per second
20 yards 880 ft per second
40 yards 675 ft per second
60 yards 555 ft per second
Maximum horizontal distance about 230 yards.

It’s why shotguns are required for shooting game birds on the wing and even for deer hunting in many heavily populated regions.

I’ve never owned a gun…don’t and don’t need one for safety. I don’t mind people who do (well most people). There are some that should never ever own a gun.

There was this reality show in guns I use to watch on the discovery show a few years ago. They built custom guns. And one rifle they built had a silencer and at least what they portrayed on the show it really did a good job of reducing the noise coming out of the barrel. They shot the rifle several times with and without the silencer and there was a noticeable difference.

But alas the show is off the air and company is out of business since the owner is now serving 2 life sentences + 40 years for multiple rapes of a two different children under 15.

It could be worse.

I had a house in northern NH a while back, and it was attacked by a pileated woodpecker. It broke off the outside trim around two large windows and a door. When I first saw it, I thought a bear was responsible. The deck was littered with large wood splinters.

Repaired it, happened a second time. Finally repaired it and nailed some 1x3 strapping around the windows and that seemed to discourage it. The siding and trim was redwood. The smell of the wood seemed to cause the bird to think there was food there, or perhaps the redwood smell drove it batty.

The first time I was in the Caribbean, I had a rum punch and was amazed at how tipsy I got off of just one. Turns out rum is so cheap there that the expensive ingredient in punch is fruit juice, so they make them very strong to save money.

Similar thing in Russia. You can get vodka in Siberia for 6 bucks a liter, which you can then dilute significantly to get down to the ~7% alcohol content in washer fluid. Actually you can get it even cheaper than that if you get the “counterfeit” grey/black market stuff that isn’t price-regulated by the government.

You could easily end up with several gallons of perfectly serviceable washer fluid for the cost of a bottle of crappy vodka, IF you lived in Siberia.

Why you’d bother with it here is beyond me.

It’s more like 40 weight% ethanol for -20degF protection.

The Walmart -20deg stuff is 33%.

I happened to wander onto a gun site a few years ago that talked about silencers. I could not believe the severe restrictions on them. Something like a $10,000 fine and/or ten years in prison if you had or even made one. Just because you might want to reduce the noise a little. But you could apply for a permit for $500 and submit to the resulting investigation and the local sheriff would have to sign off on it. So a potato seems like a good alternative. I’m sure the whole thing goes back to concerns over the mob or something but really this is nuts if you like to target shoot and value your hearing. I haven’t shot much for years though.

Yep, assume that’s methanol.

Yep, methanol.

… If you like to target shoot and value your hearing, wear hearing protection. It’s cheaper than a good silencer.

Any errant bird shot that goes up will come down, and probably in a neighbor’s yard. That is one of the reasons it is illegal to discharge firearms in my neighborhood. Haven’t you ever lived in a suburban neighborhood before? We McMansion dwellers are only about 50 feet apart.