No oil showing on dipstick

Motor oil vaporization is most commonly seen in single cylinder high output off road bikes, churning and heating of the oil causes this but a major drawback to motor oil is is tendency to turn to a gas under the right conditions, not like we have alot of other choices though.

I would say you should start checking the oil before you leave the shop. I’ve notice that no one here ever advises that.

Ok, I said above that no one advises checking the oil before leaving the shop, but you did. Good one.

Four stroke single cylinder off road bikes? There are such things? Well, learn something every day.

Pursuant to the comments about checking the oil level after an oil change, I have always recommended that, as well as recommending that any work be checked to the extent practicable before leaving a shop. If a shop says they changed my spark plug wires, I check to see that the wires are new.

In truth, I do most of my own maintenance, and I always double check everything. With oil changes, I not only double check the level on the dipstick, I double check the oil cap, and I start the car and watch under it for a few minutes while still on the ramps for any signs of a leak. I do the same with all fluid changes. I then check it daily for a few days just to be on the safe side.

Checking work before leaving the shop is only prudent. It only takes a minute and can save you an engine. Or prevent a wheel falling off.

Many,many,many different types of four-stroke off-road bikes, it fact miss a turn on your Hog and you just may be an example.

The feds were even talking a few years ago about banning 2-cycle engines for environmental reason. It’s possible that all offroad bikes will be 4-cycle engines in the not-too-distant future.

If there was no oil in your engine, why didn’t your oil pressure light come on?

If you’re using extended oil change intervals such as 4 or 5k miles it could be that the oil wiper rings on the pistons are coked up. This would be your fault for not changing the oil more often.

4k or 5K is extended changes?

I’m surprised no one has talked about a leak!

But in the interest of fair play, here’s a possible conversation:

Mechanic: No oil on the dipstick.
Customer: Well, you guys changed the oil last. Did you forget to put any in?
M: There appears to be a leak in the front main seal.
C: If there’s a leak, you caused it - and you’ll have to fix it.
M: You’ve got a lot of miles on the truck - and these things will develop leaks.
C: There’s no leak. You just saying that to avoid responsibility.
M;; Maybe it evaporated?

That oil evaporation comment sounds like sarcasm from a mechanic who wishes to avoid a hostile confrontation but can’t pass up the chance to throw a little humor in for the other mechanics nearby.

The oil “disappeared” because it either leaked out or burned off. This sort of thing is easily prevented by simply raising the hood from time to time and checking the oil level. Even if they did not put the proper amount of oil back in, it will be impossible to prove anything other than they put enough in to keep the truck going for well over 5k miles. If they failed to add any oil, the truck would have been able to go maybe five miles at the most. Sorry, this one’s on you. It’s considered owner negligence.

YES, we have advised many poster who visit rapid lube and other shops to CHECK THE OIL before driving home.

You might try switching brands of oil, and using the maximum weight of oil recommended for your engine in the manual. A full-synthetic oil may help too with the oil consumption.