Nitrogen Fill For Tires

No…air is 78% nitrogen.

“So 0 moisture = 0 pressure changes due to temp changes”

Sorry, this makes no sense. Are you saying that nitrogen doesn’t change volume with temperature? Nonsense! You can’t be serious! Ever heard of PV=nRT?

Sorry, but all gases follow the Ideal Gas law, including nitrogen and water vapor.

Your point should have been that when water changes from liquid to gas, there is a HUGE change in pressure, so Zero water means Zero pressure change due to the phase change from liquid to water. This might be important for race cars, where small changes in pressure affect the handling of the car, but for street tires, this is unimportant.

Moisture changes the psi in your tire based on temp. So 0 moisture = 0 pressure changes due to temp changes.

Sorry but no. Boyle’s Law applies equally to air and pure nitrogen. The presence of moisture will not make any noticeable difference. Moisture will make a difference with rust or corrosion of the wheel, but then the other side of the wheel is exposed to ran, snow and ice, so any problems there are going to come from the outside long before the inside becomes a problem.

You have been reading and believing the Costco "advertising" facts as if they were real facts. Think Billy Maze.  :-)

You have been reading and believing the Costco “advertising”
facts as if they were real facts.

This is so true. It makes the public believe they’re getting an added benefit when they buy their tires at Costco - one that will make a difference for them over the life of their tires. That leads to competitors offering Nitrogen, and some deciding they can make a buck by charging for it.

I’d much rather listen to the knowledgeable contributors of this forum (who don’t stand to make a buck), than listen to the marketing ploys of the retail tire stores.

We’ve done numerous threads on this subject. The thing in my mind that differentiates this one, the thing that makes this one so important over the others, is the dealer’s claims.

Saving $300 a year in fuel and tire costs?
Enhances handling?
Extends tire life?
Reduces catastrophic blowouts?

Thus goes beyond a simple marketing gimmick and into the arena of outright fraud. This disturbs me. If the dealer is treating customers this way as a matter of policy and this is not just an errant employee, the dealer desrves to be closed down.

This is an outrage.

I put nitrogen in my tires, and three days later I met my girlfriend who became my wife.

I’d just buy a small compressor for the $30 and keep check on my tire pressure every week or so with that. rockettman