NHTSA roundtable: Can technology help prevent children's deaths in hot cars?

I think you can design features into a car to reduce the interior temps, but would that be enough to save a child? Solar panels on the roof could provide some power on a sunny day to run a fan to draw the hot air out of the car and bring in cooler air. Still in a parking lot in the baking sun the temps outside the car are high so the cooler air is still very warm air. Better, but not good enough.

Years ago when driving a delivery van on a rural road a young boy pulled off the shoulder in front of me on a 3 wheeler and drove at 40 mph, wide open I guess. Before I could get around him a pickup pulled close behind me and seemed intent on passing but in an effort to keep him from blasting around and over the boy I straddled the center line and turned on my flashers, slowed to about 20 before steering out of the way. In a few short miles the 3 wheeler and the pickup turned into a country store and as I passed I saw the pickup driver had pulled off his belt and was in the process of ‘correcting’ the boy. His son I assumed. A man of few words I guess.