New Transmission at 44,000 miles? Why?

After rereading the opening statement by the OP, I might bring this up as I overlooked it or it slipped my mind. Cut and pasted below.

I have flushed the fluid in the past year. I do keep up with my car maintenance.

This brings up the point of who flushed it and what did they flush it with…

Okay Whitey. Check it.

"Every Certified Pre-Owned Nissan must meet or exceed our comprehensive criteria and pass our rigorous inspection. Your peace of mind comes from our attention to detail, including:
Comprehensive 150+ point vehicle inspection
CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™
Genuine Nissan parts
Nissan service history review
Nissan trained technicians
For a comprehensive rundown of components covered in the inspection, see your Nissan dealer.

Extensive Protection: The Nissan Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty covers 600+ components, including: engine, transmission and drive train.

Coverage: 7 years from the original in-service date of the vehicle or 100,000 total miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

Genuine Nissan Parts: Coverage ensures that any necessary replacement parts will be made using Genuine Nissan new or remanufactured parts, or Nissan-approved parts."

You REALLLLY think. They’re gonna BUY a car from a rental company.
Vacuum it out. Wash it. And slap that sticker on it???
When that sticker that potentially offers 100,000 miles of coverage for 600 + components??

For ME? That “sticker” guaranteed FREE oil changes up to 50,000 miles and all major repairs FREE until 60,000 miles, and a 3 year buy-back guarantee from Car-Fax!

You think they’re not going to, hmmm, mayyyybe look into that car? And bring it up to standards? And make sure it isn’t a POS? Before just SLAPPIN a sticker on it??

Come on people. Use your heads. Have a little faith. Think about what it takes to run a successful business. You can’t sell a hunk of junk under a certified pre-owned warranty because that certification’s reputation AND that dealer’s reputation AND the car manufacturer’s reputation will be completely trashed if you do.
This isn’t Kia in the 1970’s, alright? It’s Nissan in 2013. They know a thing or two about good service and quality product.

Everything in that first paragraph is marketing hype, and evidently, you’ve swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Do you notice that none of those claims are actually anything you can confirm? Carfax reports can help you rule out a vehicle, but there are often issues with vehicles that don’t get reported to Carfax. Nonetheless, this “certification” gave you peace of mind, didn’t it? Oh, wait, no it didn’t, because you’re here asking about whether you got a defective vehicle, so evidently, you still have doubts. Skepticism about used car purchases is wise, which is why, next time you buy a used car of any type, “certified” or not, you should have it inspected by your mechanic (whom you are paying so there is no conflict of interest) before you buy the car.

Re. the warranty, fortunate for you that was included, right?

Aside from the transmission issue, we agree you got a good car. Our only disagreement is about how much used car “certification” is worth. Go on insisting it’s the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, and we’ll go on giving you examples of evidence it’s often not worth the paper its written on. Unless you work for Nissan or for this particular dealership, I can’t figure out why you seem to have such a vested interest in insisting this marketing hype is not hype. The only person who has used the word “junk” or any of its synonyms is you. Your youthful optimism is quaint.

I hope you realize a lot of the folks who comment in this forum have worked at dealerships behind the scenes. These people know the inner workings of dealerships. They’ve seen used cars come in and get the “certification” without being scrutinized.

> Comprehensive 150+ point vehicle inspection
The mechanic doing that 150+ point inspection is told how little they will be paid for doing it. There is little incentive for them to take their time, and nothing to lose if they rush through it.

> CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™
CARFAX is 100% marking BS, proven over and over again.

> Extensive Protection: The Nissan Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty covers 600+ components, including: engine, transmission and drive train.

Coverage: 7 years from the original in-service date of the vehicle or 100,000 total miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

You should feel good they covered the CVT, which may be tied to their overall agenda for wide acceptance of the CVT.

However, you should read the fine print in your warranty. They’ve worded it so that they have the upper hand in deciding what they cover or not. For example: If your engine seizes due to overheating from a leaky water pump, do you think they owe you a new engine or just a new water pump. Unfortunately, your opinion doesn’t matter.

The more the OP posts the more sheer ignorance they show of how things actually work.

I ask you OP. You state the transmission was flushed, so who flushed it and how long after this flush did the symptoms appear?
Have you alerted the Nissan dealer about this flush; assuming they were not the ones behind it?

Pretty sure Kia wasn’t around in the 70’s :wink: (At least not as a seller of cars in the US market.)

What you fail to grasp is that you didn’t buy a car from Nissan; nobody does. What you did was buy a used car from a (most likely) local company that paid Nissan $$$ for a dealership license.

I have no idea what business model or ethical standards this unnamed company employs. The only real restraint is if a dealer screws too many customers, too often, they risk having their franchise pulled.

And yes, it’s common knowledge that “certified pre-owned” is a marketing term to sucker gullible types into overpaying for used cars. (Probably a nicer way of putting that, but why be polite to somebody who’s showed zero initiative herself?) Around 15 years or so ago–back when today’s young adults were watching Dora the Explorer–certain luxury brands coined the term, to sell a “differentiated product” at a higher price. Now, everybody does it.

Note that you’ve been nothing but rude to people giving you expert opinion, in good faith, FOR FREE. You’ve made veiled, trenchant remarks regarding higher education, when I know for a solid fact at least one respondent is a doctorate.

The first cvt was in Subaru Justy I think that’s a long time ago about 20 years I believe. to he best of my knowage Nissian is backin the cvt’s in there new cars with a long (milage) warrenty I think over 80k or even 100k miles I think, for the orangenal owner. but I would keep the tranny serviced buy your local niss. dealer say once a year to be on the safe side.

I got a “certified” used Toyota with a 107 point inspection. One of the checked off items was the spare tire. It had 15 pounds of pressure.

For more evidence of the “value” of CPO status, take a look at this thread:

Maybe this transmission was never defective and it’s death was due to the fluid used in the transmission fluid flush. I’m not holding my breath awaiting details on that.

Yeah, Nissan would never let that happen. They’d go out of business if they weren’t infallible, don’t ya know. :wink:

Point being that the OP stated several times that Nissan was the only one to service the car and on page 3 of this tome they stated that an independent shop did an oil change. What was not said was whether or not a trans fluid change or other services were done at the same time.

This independent shop mentioned is apparently a chain operation and is also touted as a BBB member on the site. In spite of the A rating, they seem to have a godawful lot of complaints registered against them; mostly due to products and service.

2011 is a fairly new car. Is the replacement trans identical? Does it have any updates? If Nissan identified weak points in 2011 trans and redid weak component design and your new trans has the updated parts, than ur good to go. But if new trans has same weak links as old, broke trans than u probably will have same reliability luck down the road.

I think I would reconsider having the transmission flushed. Instead just do the pan drop. Check the manual though. Flushing can sometimes cause a problem but are money makers for the dealers.

I have been reading above input and I agree that buying a rental is a crap shoot. I think that the combination of extreme desert heat and several joy riders renting the car would have contributed to the trans. failure even at that low of mileage. It’s also possible that the trans. was manufactured on Monday or Friday and was slightly ascew or defective right out of the factory. I purchased a prior rental car that had 2 owners after it was a rental before I got the car. It’s a 07’ Toyota Corolla S. and it is a wonderful car that my wife normally drives. I keep up on Maintenance and wash the car weekly. I don’t think that you should worry about future problems unless the car is giving you a reason to worry. Happy Trails