New Timing Belt, now coolant fouled plugs?

Could the shop be trying to turn their mistake into a bonus? The shop must understand that the problem is likely caused by mistiming but instead of making an effort to take care of that possible mistake they want to throw another expensive repair at it and make correcting their mistake profitable.

If it was me I would look for another shop.

The coolant in the cylinders sounds like typical nonsense from the office help.

The water pump is cog driven on the sedan and convertible. On the coupe (Mitsubishi) the water pump is driven by a serpentine belt. The water pump shouldn’t be a factor in this.

The spark plugs may have been gasoline fouled from tring to start the engine when the belt was broke but that should have cleared up after a few minutes of operation.

You should stop driving the car and remove/replace the spark plugs and check if they are carbon fouled. In the case of a misfire or cams out of time (with the Chrysler engine) the MAP value will be low resulting in a abnormally rich mixture.

Replace the plugs and wires, it will only take twenty minutes. Then take the car back to the shop and see if they will correct the problem.

Well, I got it checked at another place. No misfire codes and the timing was off when the guy checked under the cover. I took the car back with an alignment diagram and had the shop honor their warranty. Case closed. Thanks guys!

@hammerandchain

Congratulations!

If the cam timing was off, that means the guy doing the timing belt job probably didn’t manually turn over the engine twice, to make sure the timing marks were still correct.

It’s always better to find out that way, versus buttoning everything back up and having the customer come back upset. If the cover’s still off, you can still correct your mistake fairly easily

It’s important to double-check your work, and it sounds as if the first guy forgot to do that