New struts for better handling?

I think that you will be happier by upgrading your sway bar by either getting a stiffer bar or getting urethane bushings for your present one. You will keep the same ride but have a little more roll resistance on corners.

Another note. I recently realized that older tires (mine 6+ yrs) even ultra high performance ones seriously lose their dry grip due to aging from help from experts on internet and personal experience. Apparently they harden. I have a relatively great handling performance oriented vehicle (Subaru WRX).

I’ve owned three Accords: '81, '85 and '88.
The '81 got Konis, the '85 and '88 got Tokicos.
The aftermarket struts seemed to be slightly stiffer than OEM.
On the rough streets in Wash. DC I’ve found struts (OEM and the above) to be noticeably weakened or leaking by 60k miles on the front and 100k on the back.

In terms of ride: the '88 was stiffer than the '85 was stiffer than the '81

p.s.: the '81 and '85 got sway bar upgrades (stiffer front and added rear) same time as the first strut replacement.

One thing to keep in mind should you consider a new swaybar is that if your struts are shot your ride will be bouncy, your car will lean a lot more readily, and your handling wil be poor. The steering will tend to “lag” and take a moment to follow quick inputs, and the car will “understeer”, a phenominon that feels like the front wants to keep plowinging straight ahead when you turn.

Before attempting to improve the ride and handling with a new sway bar, get the struts replaced (OEM replacements or aftermarket upgrades, the choice is yours) and a good chassis inspection and alignment done. You’ll feel a world of difference. If you then want it to handle even better, then you can consider a new swaybar. If you do, know that aftermarket upgrade swaybars come with different “settings”. They can be set to road or track, and some have “sport” settings in between. You can set them as stiff or as “new car” as you’d like.

All this advice is very helpful! Thanks to all of you!