New Cat. Converter Vs New used car

It can be a crapshoot.
The first time I changed the sparkplugs in mu current car I wanted to get exactly the same NGK sparkplug as the OEM. I discovered that the last digit of the OEM NGK plugs cannot be purchased on the open market. It designates that the plug is specifically for Toyota purchase. The recommended OEM replacement is exactly the same plug (I broke down the part number codes), but with a different last character that designates it for the parts store market.

They do that so the dealer can trick the non-informed customer that you can only buy the correct spark-plug from them.

Even going to one of the discount Honda parts supliers you are paying roughly double you would from Rock auto for the aftermarket ($200+ Honda,$100+ Rock auto) for each of the two o2 sensors (before and after the cat) that these have.

That model number trick is used all the time. Big stores like Best Buy have a unique model number on a computer that is otherwise identical to the generic model sold by the same manufacturer.

There used to be an electronics store in the San Jose area that would advertise “We’ll match any advertised price lower than ours”. The small print said it had to be the same exact model number. But this store, apparently they had an arrangement with their vendors, so the items they sold had a unique model number … no other stores in the area carried that same model number … lol … well, you have to admit it is a clever ploy.

The customers must have saw through it though. That store is no longer in business.

Back when Circuit City was still in business, they had their own variation of the generic model number, but they did honor the price of a functionally identical piece of electronics though the model number was slightly different.

Mattress stores are the worst. They all advertise they’ll match prices, but every chain gets slightly different mattresses. Same on the inside, but a different fabric cover, maybe different stitching, and a different name and parts number. They make it very hard to compare between stores. Tempurpedic seems to be an exception to this rule.