New car buyer

What did you drive when you first were licensed? Did you like it?

To be fair, Bean, a lot of people only look for a vehicle when their current ride is pretty much done- repairs too expensive, lease is up, old age catching up with it. So a “gotta buy it right now” attitude is what a lot of car buyers have because they DO have to buy right now.

1 Like

2 main places to check before you buy is your local DMV and your insurance company. I live in Ohio and the DMV charges extra if you have a hybrid or EV when you register your car every year- $100 for hybrid, $200 for EV.
I used to have a 2018 Mustang GT and a 2010 Mazda CX-7 and both of those were cheaper to insure(GT full coverage, CX-7 had comprehensive coverage), together, than my current full coverage 2020 Chevy Bolt. Close to a $100 difference when I pay for 6 months of coverage at a time, and the Bolt is my old ride right now.
EVs will also lose range in the cold, so plan that into your charging regimen.

I’ve had my Bolt since Nov. 2020 and the only maintenance I’ve done to it is an $8 gallon of windshield washer fluid. I only recently decided to track my trips in terms of replacement costs in terms of my electric bill and for 100 miles out of 265, the trip cost me $2.50- gas was $3.99/gal that day, for comparison.

2 Likes

Honda accord/civic. I did/do like them. I’ve never felt fully comfortable driving in a bigger car, so definitely looking sedan.

I’d get a civic type r. Fun to drive. Easy to sell in 1-2 yrs.

1 Like