Need help choosing the right 5w-30 oil for my 08 Chevy Uplander

No specific brand at all. I do use synthetic…because of the cold winters and I do a lot of towing during the summer.

My 1998 Civic has about 247,000 miles on the odometer, and I don’t stick to any one brand of oil. I use what is cheapest or on sale, sometimes I even use the store brand from Walmart or Advance Auto Parts.

For a while I was using the Walmart brand of high mileage oil because I had some leaky seals, but I recently had those fixed, so I’m back to regular old conventional (non-synthetic) 5W-30 oil.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

@Poopyhead_Mcgee

Triedaq, what kind of oil did you use for your uplander? And the Sienna?

I used ordinary 5W-30 in the Uplander as specified in the owner’s manual. I changed the oil when the oil life indicator indicated that it was time. Sometimes, as in the winter it would need to be changed about 4000 miles and other times, it would indicate a change was needed about 6500 miles. I think the brand used was Valvoline by both the Chevrolet dealer and my independent shop.

The Sienna requires 0W-20 synthetic oil. I change that oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Neither vehicle ever uses a drop between changes.

I have no idea what oil my son is using in the Uplander now that he owns it. He follows the recommendation at the independent shop that does his work.