Need advice about what car to buy

Thanks - think I will contact an Airstream dealer to see what the usual loaded weight is predicted to be. Seems I read the the Airstreams were engineered to require less to pull them - was an advertised feature. Time to gather more info.

Not only is towing capacity something you need to worry about, comfort would be the main thing to look at after that. Towing the trailer with ease doesn’t bode well for you if you need to stop every half hour or so because your body is stiff and/or sore from poor seating or suspension. So yeah, the suggestions about a mid sized SUV like the Explorer or even an F-150 would make a better choice. Get one with the towing package and you should be good to go as far as not needing to add anything to the vehicle before towing.
Speaking of which, if the vehicle doesn’t have a towing package, you’ll seriously want to look at adding an aftermarket trans cooler, oil cooler, matching temp gauges, larger radiator, etc.

Wow - had no idea towing was such an issue. I will try to find one with the package. Some how I saw myself cruising along in a '56 T-bird with the cute Airstream behind me - LOL. So glad I sought advice. Have started looking for a '05 - '06 4 Runner. Had not thought of an Explorer - what years are good?

It involves a lot more than just what kind of engine you have. Kinda like when you try to drag a fridge, or even your clothes dryer around. You might be able to get going after some effort, but your body will certainly feel the effects of it, not just in the legs, but arms, shoulders and much more as well.
Since you’re gonna tour the states, you’ll most likely be climbing mountains and such, so you’ll want to keep an eye on the transmission temperature and stay out of overdrive.
I think just about any late model Explorer should fit the bill and should be able to find parts for it easily enough, especially if something happens and Bubba Joe Bob needs to work on it in his “geerage” up in the mountains in BFE

LOL - thanks - I do see mountains in the trip. I am expanding my search.

For towing, ya can’t beat a diesel! If you are economy minded, check out mahindrana.com
-they aren’t here yet, but they keep telling me they will be here in the coming year…

cannot afford new - and probably not a good idea to buy now when there are so few dealerships across the country. Sounds good for the future.

I wouldn’t recommend something with a small wheelbase to do the towing, the trailer in some circumstances will be controlling the tow vehicle.

thanks for the tip - what vehicle would you recommend.

Had not thought of an Explorer - what years are good?
Compared to a Pathfinder or 4Runner for towing,ride and reliability…None !

Silverado should do the job

I do not want a pick up truck - like the idea of having storage in the back that can be locked up - and more seats for passengers. but thanks for the suggestion.

More is better than less when it comes to towing. I’d suggest shopping for the trailer first. Get all the info you can about the “dry weight” of the trailer and the “wet” weight. Wet means when it is loaded with fuel, water, etc. Then you add what your gear would weight, clothes, food, beverages, linens, cleaning supplies, etc. All that stuff adds up and you will be hauling all of it all the time. Some trailers have no brakes, some have surge brakes, and some have electric brakes. Shopping for the trailer gives you a lot more info when it comes time to select the tow vehicle.

I don’t think I’d want to head into the mountains with a V6 and a vehicle that is not big enough to maintain control of the trailer. You want to pull the trailer and not feel it is pushing you around on mountain curves.

I bought an '01 Toyota Sequoia to haul a 2 horse trailer, it works fine. It doesn’t feel all that big and bulky when driving it without the trailer.

You should also consider a Ford Explorer with a V8 and a tow package, any year is going to be ok for your trailer. There are lots more Ford dealerships than Toyota dealers in sparsely populated areas. Also parts and good mechanics are easier to find for a Ford than a Toyota in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the advice about weight. I have AAA plus which will tow car and trailer up to 100 miles so that gives me a bit more leeway with Ford vs Toyota - does not cover every place I might go.