My options after buying a troubled high mileage Toyota Rav 4?

… and emoting for the cameras.

I’ve never ever had an O2 sensor fail…even after 400k miles.

While you make a valid point, I was trying to be optimistic and run this down from least catastrophic to most.

2 Likes

It’s great that you have never had an O2 sensor fail. That is your experience. As a Honda and Toyota owner for many years (all of which ran to pretty high miles) I can say that it was a pretty common problem, especially around the 150,000 to 200,000 mile mark. O2 sensors are considered a wear item with a finite life. Conversely, I have had only one catalytic converter failure that was fortunately covered under emissions warranty.

2 Likes

They BARELY make a profit! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’d guess George was referring to the “collectors” that bring in strange stuff to sell being the hobbyists.

1 Like

Really? We’ve been Honda and Toyota/Lexus owners for decades. Never had an O2 failure. 2 Accords well over 300k miles. 1 Toyota over 300k miles, 1 Lexus over 250k miles and my Highlander now has over 175k miles.

My experience has been Ford 02 sensor failed at 90k miles, Dodge cat converter failed at 130k miles, Toyota Highlander converter failed (according to Toyota dealership) just past 80k miles. I’ve also had vehicles that never needed the converter or 02 sensor replaced. Luck of the draw, I guess…

If I had that code, I’d try replacing the downstream sensor first just because it’s cheaper and can be done at home. Honestly, if I had it to do again, I think I would’ve tried that on the Toyota first rather than trusting the dealership completely. They were probably correct, though. Converter was replaced and the light never returned.

Yes, but not so much to the folks who bring the stuff in, but to the folks who watch the show. The viewers aren’t interested in opening a pawn shop, or even taking stuff to a pawn shop; the viewers are interested in all the junk that the show features. Drive through most any neighborhood, it’s clear the hobby of Junk Collecting interests many people. Not intending the term “junk collecting” to be disparaging at all.

1 Like

One person’s junk is another person’s treasure. My wife thinks my collectible cars are junk, for example. I also collect vintage fountain pens and antique electric fans, same story. When I walk past a pawn shop, I always look in the window to see if they have any “treasures”.

I’m the same way only with watches.

1 Like

Any updates from the OP?
Yet again we lost a poster, distracted by Seinfeld and Friends. I will add Two and Half men and The Bing Bang Theory. Hopefully this RAV did not have a big bang.

2 Likes