My First Car

When I learned to drive, and it was a standard transmission, we would make sure the car was parked in a solid place. And, without the key, and the engine obviously not running, we would practice shifting over and over and over, including the clutch movements. I am surprised that these days no one seems to be aware of this technique of learning how to drive a standard transmission. In my youth, all the kids did that.

I thought it doubled just if you were a male teenager :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll disagree with JT in that if you’re not comfortable in the Suburban, then you really are an accident waiting to happen. Especially since most posters tend to tell people that SUVs are one of the worst vehicles you could give a teenager.
The Tc should be fine, but keep looking around, you might find something better, or cheaper to insure. A Mazda 3 or 6, Ford Fusion or Focus, Chevy Prizm, or Pontiac Vibe would be good choices as well

The Buick Regal is a fine choice.

Stay away from the Suburban–it is probably the WORST vehicle for the Suburbs, and given its size a terrible vehicle for a teenager.

If you live on a cattle ranch in west Texas, then a Suburban is perfect.

The Scion is a great choice mechanically but check insurance rates–it is one of the cars that receives the most speeding tickets.

I suggest learning to drive and taking the driver’s test on a more nimble vehicle than the Suburban. But anyone can learn to drive it. If it is just sitting around, it’s a reasonable choice for the kid’s first ride. My neighbor lets his daughter drive a late model
Explorer to school. While not quite as big ans a Suburban, it is a lot larger than almost any car.