Mounting/dismounting tires yourself

I just replaced all four winter tires on my Nissan pickup using my manual tire changer.

I made this from scrap steel I had hanging around.

I also had to use the Cheetah bead sealer to get the beads to seal.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cheetah+bead+seater&view=detail&mid=CC3A8AB60CEE62DBD4ADCC3A8AB60CEE62DBD4AD&FORM=VIRE

Tester

1 Like

If you only have to de- bead the tire but can keep it on the rim otherwise, like if you have to access the inner part of the tire for some reason, just debead/ bead one side at a time. In other words always keep one side beaded. That makes it much easier to set the one bead remaining. Iā€™ve been able to do that ok on my truck tires just using my home-use air compressor set at 55 pounds. You donā€™t need such a big whoosh of air if one of the beads is already set.

Nice work, tester. :relaxed:

Changing tires manually is something I did a few times when I was younger. Last one I did was a motorcycle tire and that was definitely the hardest and lastā€¦

From my limited diyā€™er experiments to date, the hardest part for me is getting the tire separated from the rim once it is de-beaded. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve discovered the correct method yet.