Most reliable 4x4 truck?

A Ford F-150 with the 300ci(4.9L?) V6 should prove to be a good vehicle for your needs.

Talk to a tax advisor and see if you could somehow write the truck, or truck payments, off on your taxes as a business expense.

I agree with Mike…maintenance and rust first. If you have some choices after that, get one your favorite independent feels best about working on…he will be.

I agree as well, Mike makes a very good point. Nothing will last long without good maintenance. I was trying say Toyotas are durable; however, with the environment and load, a vehicle with a larger engine would probably be best to move the load through mud.

Finding a rust free vehicle shouldn’t be an issue if you are living in or buying from the Oregon high desert. My buddy’s have found a lot of old farm trucks (40’s - 70’s) with little to no rust.

As stated earlier: Whatever you buy, remember that any truck you buy will get stuck. There are times you just will not be able to go into a field without getting stuck. The key is to know the environment that you are driving in, being prepared by equipping the vehicle properly, learning the proper driving techniques for the conditions, and knowing the vehicle’s and your limits so you can avoid the getting stuck to start with. The later is the most important because if you don’t know the vehicle’s limits and your own limits you will break something and be stuck (hopefully with someway of recovery or repair).

I am a HUGE fan of Toyota…but I am open minded…I also LOVE my F150’s I’ve owned about 5 so far ALL of them 85-88’ With the venerable 300ci Inline 6…IMHO that engine is one of the best ever made…by anyone… I love those sixes… Never had me a 300ci 6cyl 4X4 F150…but I bet they are rock solid too. I am not too brand loyal (I’m all over the place) or close minded…If you make a good item, I can recognize it.

As someone who off roads alot. All the trucks talked about here have good points and bad points,but will work. With the money you are talking about spending my choice would be a 90’s Chevy ,Ford or Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 Ex -Cab. Easy to work on, lots of parts cheap and $2500-$4000 will by a good one. Put good tires on any of these and they will go good in mud or soft ground. Remember the first rule of going off road… keep it in 2 wheel dr till are almost stuck. then put it 4 wheel dr. If you do it this way you should not get stuck. After you get some seat time in your 4X4 you will then the limits of it. Check with the guys that off road in your area for tires that will work for you. Mud comes in many kinds and what works for me here in in Mi. may not work were you live.

You can also add a rear dif locker later if needed. Also a topper to keep the tools covered would be a good idea. Those can be found cheap used. As for MPG 16-19 is what these trucks will get.

Get a Chevy regular cab. That way you won’t spend a fortune anywhere on the truck. Parts and labor for that are available everywhere.

Reliability is relative. If the loads are light, the speeds are low and the maintenance frequent, you can get good service from an older 4 wd truck. Beat on them too severely and their age starts to show…just like people…and rented mules.

Well said Dagosa