Modifying a Subaru Legacy

It’s no longer a rebuilt engine, it’s a well used engine with 110,000 miles on it.

They fixed heads 100k ago. About time to Fail again.

Just for hoots, you might consider running a compression test on the engine to see if compression is dropping. Lowered compression can lead to lack of power and decreased fuel economy. Yes, I know you said the engine was rebuilt but that was a while back and a lot depends upon how the word “rebuilt” is defined.
A round piston ring in an egged and tapered cylinder bore is inferior to boring and new pistons. I also kind of wonder how this car ended up needing a new engine at the 70k miles mark. That’s unusual.

As mentioned, hills can be a mileage killer and especially so with smaller displacement engines. The stoichiometric ratio only goes so far and you can’t get blood out of a turnip. Synthetic oil, air filter, high octane gas, etc is not going to make much of a difference no matter what.

I don’t understand. They don’t make the 2.2 anymore. In order to rebuild an engine of this kind how would someone do this?

I bought the car from a private party that deals in these kinds of cars and the engine I had in it when I bought it had a cylinder that was going bad and was taking a lot of oil. He guaranteed his work and so he put another engine in it and said it was a rebuilt engine. The engine/car I have driven so far and have put a lot of miles on it hardly takes any oil now. He told me it was rebuilt with about 110,000 miles.

Please explain. I am new to these ways. Thank you

… by obtaining the appropriate parts, which are readily available.

1 Like

Meaning that all the parts are new? Does the 2.2 engines all have new parts to rebuild an engine?

I don’t know. I’m happy with the engine that doesn’t leak oil and he had to swap engines and didn’t really make any money off the vehicle because of the work involved.

The parts may be from Subaru or are aftermarket parts. Manufacturers continue to make parts for discontinued items so that repairs can be made. I wouldn’t be surprised if Subaru still made parts, or had them made, for a 20 year old engine.

1 Like

I can’t answer your question about a rebuilt engine as I have no way of knowing what was done. The words “rebuilt” and “new” are a couple of the most abused words in the English language.

People come onto this forum and refer to a salvage yard engine in their car as a “new” engine when it is anything but. I’ve replaced head gaskets in an engine and the car owner tells anyone who will listen that they have a “new” engine in their car. No they do not. They have a used and possibly a half worn out engine with new head gaskets is all.

I’m trying to not be too critical here but this engine thing comes across as a tiny bit odd. I’m just saying that if it were my car I would want to know what is going on inside the cylinders. If compression is down in the 130s, 150s, etc then there is engine wear and both mileage/performance will suffer a bit; especially so with uphill driving.
“Swap engines” does not necessarily mean rebuilt.

1 Like

Actually we agree on everything you wrote except the word “real”. I interpreted it to mean measurable where you seem to interpret it to mean “significant”

Other than that, we are in complete agreement and so I stand by my statement as well.

1 Like

110,000 miles ago it was a rebuilt engine, now it’s a used engine with 110,000 miles on it.

I can’t imagine that there is a worse metropolitan area to drive a manual transmission car in than San Francisco.

3 Likes

I have a friend who teaches mechanics at a local college and she ran a scan and said they was no codes indicating anything needed to be done, like a O2 sensor.
She didn’t do a compression test though