Missing transman

-grin-

Stealth mods. Careful; the next step is un-manned mods. :wink:

An older, hydraulically controlled automatic might drive the engine when the ignition is shut off at speed. The hydraulic computer works as long as the transmission is driving the engine fast enough to power the oil pump. With today’s electronically controlled slushbox, I think the solenoids that control the clutches would not be energized once the key is turned off-the entire power train control computer is shut off. Hence the transmission is effectively shifted to neutral once the ignition is off. As most of us know however, slush box isn’t the only type of automatic transmission

@shadowfax, How’m I doing on the Turing test?

@cdaquila “Hello, I am Eliza. What would you like to talk about?”

:wink:

missileman Junior Grease Monkey

2:07AM

I think what we have here is a situation between @transman and @EllyEllis where both of them are right. Transmissions built after the late 60’s no longer had a rear pump that allowed automatics to be pushed started. I looked up the Chrysler transmissions and the rear pump was removed in 1966. An automatic without a rear pump can no longer be “push” started with another vehicle. So @transman is right.
I never once said the vehicle could be push started. I said that the engine kept turning even with the ignition off, then when I turned on the ignition, it would go ahead and run.
missileman asks “why in the world did you do this in the first place”? I did it to prove Transman wrong because he said it could not be done. So @transman is right ? No he wasn’t , but he would never admit it.

circuitsmith says
7:24AM edited 7:25AM Modern fuel injected car engines cut the fuel supply off on overrun (throttle closed, crank speed above ~1200 rpm).
They have this for auto as well as manual. So the auto trans keeps the crank spinning when coasting at speed.
My '85 Accord SEi auto had it. I agree with him.

“Modern fuel injected car engines cut the fuel supply off on overrun (throttle closed, crank speed above ~1200 rpm).”

What about ancient cars. GM eliminated the pump on its 4 speed Hydramatic back in 1959. Let’s use the 1959 Oldsmobile as an example. It had a carbureted engine. Now if one was descending a hill and one shifted to low range, one would have engine braking. The fuel supply would not be cut off. My guess is that if you pushed the 1959 Oldsmobile at a really high speed it might start assuming spark and fuel. However, at speeds below 40 mph without the pump the engine wouldn’t turn over, so for all practical and safety purposes, the car couldn’t be push started.

@cdaquilla Can I try a Turing Test?

How many aeons are there from the right coast to the left coast?

Run that by ‘Suri’.

@cdaquilla are you a computer? Should I trust the answer you give me. Do you have a car?

@cdaquila See if you can raise @transman618‌. I hope he can enlighten us on the inner workings and failure modes of the 6L45, 6L60. 6L80. 6T45 etc. I figure he might be doing a continuing education for these transmissions.

TNX

I will never believe in a million years that transman bailed on this forum because of the somewhat lengthy and at least slightly volatile discussion over the auto trans restart issue.
It’s more than likely new daughter and family issues. Time management can go out the window when kids are involved and that’s not meant in a bad way.

While we’re at it, let’s ring up Craig58 and Joseph Meehan.

@researcher, I did write transman this morning to send the forum’s regards and good wishes, so we’ll see if it yields anything.

@Barkydog, if I had a car and I’m a computer, does that make me a self-driving car? Deep thoughts.

@jtsanders, you bring up a good point: If there’s anyone else you’ve been wondering about, I’m happy to send a note.

OK4450, I have no doubt that you’re correct. The last I remember, he had just opened a new shop, and that plus other life changes SHOULD take precedence. IMHO his priorities are, as far as I can tell, in the correct order. I wish him all the best.

Allow me to suggest that while out hearts are in the right place, if someone disappears from the forum, they’ve chosen to and should not be then followed up. Respecting his privacy and his choices is as important as respecting his advice, perhaps more so. Carolyn, you handled the situation in exactly the proper way, and I tip my hat to you.

If I could manage to get that gorgeous blond interested, you’d probably never hear from me again either
 and I like it here!!! {:slight_smile:

Thanks, TSM. I do agree with you. I waffled whether to reach out because on one hand, we absolutely should respect people’s choices and not intrude. On the other, sometimes it’s nice for someone to know someone out there is thinking of them in a kind way.

I agree. Great job. It’s a tough decision to make for people who actually do care.

Triedaq Senior Grease Monkey

1:27PM One more time I say, "the argument was not about “push starting”

At the time that discussion was going on I think I ended by asking someone, anyone, to provide a technical explanation of how a full lockup from crankshaft to drive wheels on the pavement occurs when the fluid pump is inoperative.

Also around that time I posed the scenario to a friend who has been a transmission builder for about 40 years and his polite response was bunk. He also expressed interest in a technical explanation and at this point we’re both still clueless

Not that I know anything about transmissions or have any desire to shut the car off going downhill, but I believe this is very bad for an automatic transmission due to the lack of lubrication as you are coasting down the hill.

Bing, I don’t see any difference in shutting off the ignition than shutting off the fuel in newer engines. I don’t think there would be any “lack of lubrication” as everything in the transmission would be working normally. Anyway I just tried it to prove if or not the engine would still be turning and it was. I know a little about older cars as I have I have been driving for 66 years and did all of my repairs until about a year ago. Modern machinery is a little to technical for me any more. And you need thousands of dollars worth of equipment to check for a problem. And I have trouble getting under a car or working under the hood since I past 80 years old.
If shutting off the ignition on a '96 Dodge van was bad for it, I don’t know, I only drove it 15 years and 130k miles.