Milage vs Age, what is more important when buying used

But that mechanic you mentioned won’t catch pulsating brakes on the freeway, a pull on the freeway, worn out struts, and many other things. I hope you paid a low price for that minimal inspection

You have $200k in student loans but make $14/hr…
I hope that wasn’t an MBA or other financial based education.
:wink:

Frankly, I’m having difficulty believing some of this is factual but stranger things happen so I give you the benefit of the doubt. Wish you best of luck…

2 Likes

yep finished college back in 1990 went 7 years to complete my education degree, with a teaching certification in 4 different areas. Going 7 years costs a lot even back then. Add to it then working in jobs with pay never over 20,000 a year made it tough to make those payments, so now with interest the loan sits at over $200,000 but the gov’t is cool as long as I make a nice montly payment on it.

It is safe to assume that Economics 101 was not one of the 4 areas.

3 Likes

Let’s not kick a man while he’s down.

Whether you believe his story or not, I wouldn’t want to be “that guy.”

1 Like

Truth is, many Americans who go for graduate and professional degrees in fields that are not lucrative end up with enormous debt and insufficient revenues to pay for them.

I have a friend who’s an MD who went to school in another country where the challenge is to get accepting into the programs up front rather than to pay for them after. If you can get accepted, the government there pays the bills. He and I discussed the monetary issue once, and he said that he quite frankly could not understand how his colleagues here can start their careers with such crushing debt. He didn’t say this, but it’s also possible that the debt drives so many physicians into the lucrative specialties. General practitioners must be strapped with debt for years. Many years ago anyone with a PhD in any field could rely on getting a teaching post, but now there just aren’t that many. I have friends from the college with PhDs in physics, math, and technologies who can’t find a full time slot. They teach adjunct. Colleges now are no longer hiring full time profs. We started eliminating full time positions through attrition some years ago in preparation for the anticipated increase in health insurance costs as well as in recognition of the HS student populations dropping. I hate to say it, but anyone who gets a PhD in any liberal arts subject is likely going to be burdened with massive debt that he/she cannot pay.

actually no, my four areas were History/Econ/Political science and Geog. I just chose jobs following college that I enjoyed, not what it paid, for most of my life it’s been working with either kids or college age students, which ment not great pay, most I ever made in a year $25,000 so I either postponed or made small payments and you add up interest all these years and you get the amount I have today. It will never be paid off, I will be dead before it’s paid off.

Hi there. I know bertrand’s been posting here a while, so I doubt he’s suddenly decided to troll for kicks. I think the discussion started going afield from what he asked – which happens in a lot of threads that digress to adjacent topics, but this one detoured into some questioning his life choices or casting aspersions on his economic sense. That’s not what we’re here for. Let’s try to be fair to people in a way we’d want them to be fair to us.

… and that is the reason to negotiate on the price and not the monthly payment of the car. Does your car insurance cover the outstanding loan balance or just the car value? Remember you still have to pay off the loan if your car is totaled in an accident.

I’m willing to bet someone who buys an extended warranty also buys gap insurance, both of which I consider a waste of money.