Metallurgy Saves Weight

So what if some of the regulars regularly criticize GM vehicles?

All of us are smart enough . . . smart enough to do our own research, and make our own informed decisions, when it’s time to go car shopping

Reporting problems with vehicles input to 10 years old, and especially newer vehicles, is very important to me in making my next buying decision. I don’t use older complaints, although they ar certainly valid for the people making them.

While more current vehicles is certainly a good indicator…but so is past record. Companies take a very very long time to change the way they do business. GM is one company that needs to PROVE to me they have. I haven’t seen the proof yet.

It was interesting back in the 1940s and 1950s at GM. Each division developed its own engine. I had a1947 Pontiac with a 6 cylinder flathead engine. Chevrolet had a 6 cylinder engine, but it was an overhead valve. Oldsmobile offered a,flathead 6 through 1950, but it was different from the Pontiac 6 engine. By the mid 1950s, each division had its own OHV V8. The engines were all different. The automatic transmissions were different --Pontiac, Oldsmobile,and Cadillac used the 4 speed Hydramatic that had a fluid coupling. The Chevrolet PowerGlide and the Buick Dynaflow depended on torque converters. This difference between the divisions promoted intra corporation rivalry which I think made for a quality product for the time. Wben GM cars became the same except for nameplate, the competition wasn’t there and the quality declined.

1 Like

Ford will probably never prove to me that they build a vehicle I want because of my past experience with them. The last one I bought wa 20 years ago and my experience isn’t important to new car buyers.

Didn’t anyone else think it humorous to agree to a post about being ok to disagree?

At any rate, I think talking about a particular car company might be a little too broad. When I bought my 86 Park Ave, I had no idea that the 3800 engine was bullet proof and that the 4 spd transmission was a little weak. I had two more 3800’s before I ever heard how good they were. No one but a mechanic would know this. Likewise, we know Honda transmissions of a certain vintage are problem prone but engines are good. We know Ford has some engine problems and rust problems. We know Toyota may have some electronics problems that they haven’t solved yet. So really to me, a manufacturer is too broad a brush and CR is not a good source for me. What I want to know is what the mechanics know about the weak points of each.

You can very easily apply a broad brush and be fairly accurate. I agree that every manufacturer has manufacturing problems…but you can look at the VERY WIDE amount of problems of one manufacturer over another. Patterns emerge.

As for you bullet proof 3.8l engine.

And lets not forget the many different GM engines well over a decade that had the Intake Manifold problem. Your 3.8L is in the list.

A good indicator of how well a company is dedicated to quality control is how they handle problems when they do arise. GM knew about intake manifold leaking problem several years before they even addressed it. They let their faulty ball-joint problems fester for decades.

I have seen tire manufacturers completely change their quality image. I see no reason why a vehicle manufacturer can’t do the same. In fact, the speed with which this change took place amazed everyone I discussed this with.

However, some consumers have very long memories. I’ve had people base their opinions on things that happened over 30 years ago - and just to put things in perspective: I hope everyone realizes that the situation with Firestone happened over 15 years ago. Are you holding onto an opinion based on that era? Is it possible things have changed since then?

Spending $500 on a set of tires is one thing. Plunking down $30k on a vehicle with a spotty track record is completely different.

I have a personal bias against GM so no more of my $$ will go there. That said. the GM vehicles are pretty darn good, especially the V8 engines.

Having owned 4 Ford vehicles (two cars as a direct result of a horrible GM car purchased new) with good results, I’ll likely stay with Ford for at least one vehicle. The cheapest to own and drive cars I’ve ever owned were a Ford and a Honda, both purchased used.

Burn me on a $600 set of tires that I replace in 3 years- (coughKhumoscough) - I can get over it. Burn me on a $35,000 car I’ll drive for 15 years and I’ll be shopping elsewhere for decades.

That was an era??!?
I guess if you’re young enough that it is a significant portion of your life it might be.
It’s all RELATIVE… :wink: