Mercury...R.I.P

I suppose the decision to eliminate duplicate cars under different badges made good business sense. However, the decision to make the same car but with different labels instead of making the cars different in my opinion did not make good sense. Back in 1953, GM offered the Chevrolet with an overhead valve 6, the Pontiac had a flat head 8 and a flat head 6, the Oldsmobile and Oldsmoblile had overhead valve V-8 engines, the Buick offered an inline overhead valve 8 and an overhead valve V-8. The automatic transmissions were different–Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac had the GM 4 speed hydramatic with a simple fluid coupling. Chevrolet and Buick had transmisisons where the torque multiplication was done in the torque converter. Even when each division had a V-8 engine, the V-8 engines were all different and did not interchange. The suspensions were different–I had a 1954 Buick with coil springs all around, a closed driveshaft, lever action shocks in the rear and a V-8 engine. I had also owned a 1955 Pontiac–leaf springs in the rear, open driveshaft, airplane type shock absorbers, and a completely different V-8 engine. The cars drove differently and one bought what suited one’s tastes. If one didn’t like the “wheelbarrow” ride of the Pontiac, one bought a Buick. Proctor and Gamble has the right idea. If Tide doesn’t get your clothes clean enough to suit you, you switch to Cheer.

When GM made the cars the same, there wasn’t any reason for different nameplates. I had a 1993 Oldsmobile 88. I didn’t like the Oldsmobile dealer, so I took it to the Pontiac shop. It was the same car as the Pontiac Bonneville. I needed a blower resistor and the Oldsmobile dealer didn’t have the part, so I called the Buick dealer on the Oldsmobile parts counter telephone and the Buick dealer had the part waiting for me when I arrived.

I still think had GM not just put different badges on the same car, but truly made them different, GM wouldn’t have had to file for bankruptcy.

I agree about the different badges being different cars. That made sense.

But had they stayed the course with that philosophy I still think they would have ended up bankrupt. They had too many other far more serious issues. The focus changed over the years from the product to the financing arm. GMAC became the profit center for the company. Beancounters always seem to forget that they only count other people’s beans, they grow none of their own.

In short, GM became run by accountants rather than car guys. They kept their factories operating at max capacity to keep the productivity numbers up and then did all form of dances to unload tha inventory.

And, since there were no car guys running the company anymore, rather than design affordable product they looked to other companies and badged the other companys’ products. They just did not seem to care about the cars anymore. They forgot that the cars were their product.

They got away with it until the market fell. They were lucky.

The auto industry never learns from history. In the early 1960’s, the beancounters almost ruined Chrysler corporation. Roger Smith, in my opinion, started GM on its decline. On the other hand, Chrysler really thrived under the leadership of Iacocca, a “car guy”. When Ed Cole, Pete Estes, and Bunkie Knudsen(all car guys) GM was sound.

Mercury sales have fallen 74% since 2000. You would think they would have regrouped sooner and changed strategy. Why Mercury came out with the Tracer is a mystery to me. Its seems that the manufacturers want to compete with each other in- house,and turn a blind eye to what the core brand values represent to the motoring public. I guess Mercury will be remembered as a Hudson or Studebaker in American automotive lore. R.I.P!

Why would Mercury be remembered as a Hudson or a Studebaker?
Those two marques were independents who always marched to the beat of a different drummer, whereas Mercury was always just a slight variant on standard Detroit fare.

Sure, at some points in its history, you could get a Mercury with a somewhat larger engine than a Ford, but it was essentially the same engine bored-out slightly. The engineering was the same, and underneath the skin, most other components were the same. And of course, during its last 20 years of existence the only difference between a Mercury and a Ford was usually only the grill and the tail lights.

By comparison, Hudson was innovative with both engine design (better, more durable alloys in the engine block; much lower height and much better handling; “fail-safe” brakes [which unfortunately became less safe due to rust on the mechanism] are just a few examples)

Studebaker frequently had unique styling. Whether you liked their first post-WW II styling or not, it was unlike anyone else’s styling, and the '53 Studebaker coupe is considered to be one of the best-styled, most beautiful cars of all time. If you compare the wheelbase, length, height, and engine displacement of that '53 coupe, you will find that the “new class of vehicles” that the Mustang represented was actually identical in all of those measurements to the '53 Stude coupe.

When Studebaker was faced with a lack of adequate funding for truly new models, they worked miracles in design by making the Gran Turismo Hawks of the '60s look new and different, even though that model was just a slight reworking of the '53 coupe. They were the first to offer disk brakes as an option on all model lines. They held land speed records at Bonneville that were not broken for decades.

They alone had the “hill-holder” for manual transmissions. They pioneered the concept of a sliding roof in the rear of the station wagon, a concept that was copied by GM a few years ago for a GMC model. I could go on and on regarding Studebaker’s innovations.

By comparison, Mercurys, while nice cars, traditionally had little innovation other than the reverse-slant retracting rear window–and that was back in the '60s! If Mercury had actually been unique in some significant way, perhaps there would not have been a need for eliminating this redundant brand.

What led to the demise of all of the independents was simply bad business decisions and the increasing cost of product development, post WW II:

As examples of bad business decisions, Hudson’s limited funding gave them the choice of developing a much-needed V-8 or building the ill-fated Hudson Jet compact car. While the Jet was actually a very good small car, the styling turned off potential buyers. In retrospect, a V-8 would have brought many more customers into the showroom. Studebaker made the decision, prior to production of the all-new '53 Stude, to concentrate on manufacturing 4-door sedans, with the 2-door coupes playing second fiddle. This wrong-headed move cost them thousands of potential customers, as supply of the coupes could not keep up with demand.

Later, Studebaker was presented with the offer to construct some small cars from Japan, but they turned this down. Just imagine if they had opted to build those Toyotas for the Japanese parent company! Also–their role as the North American distributor for Mercedes-Benz would have paid off if they had stayed with it, instead of opting out of the deal after a few years.

Without the funding to compete–technological advance for technological advance–with The Big Three, independents had to essentially keep recycling old designs while trying to make them look new and exciting. Their difference in designs retained old customers, but frequently failed to attract new ones. When Hudson merged with Nash, Hudsons became just rebadged Nashes and even loyal Hudson customers walked out of the showrooms.

Studebaker was saddled with the incredibly high overhead costs of operating the South Bend factory that dated back to the 19th Century, and was actually the largest auto factory in the US–despite no need for a plant that large. The plant was designed to make wooden wagons in the 19th Century, and was vastly oversized and inefficient for mid-20th Century car production.

Additionally, they paid higher wages than the other car makers–for some unfathomable reason. When they closed the South Bend plant and consolidated their production at the small Hamilton, Ontario factory, they actually began making a profit again. However, the NY banks that essentially controlled the company at that point decided that they would rather run the other companies that Stude had bought or developed during the '50s & '60s–Worthington Pump, Franklin Appliances, Clark Floor Machinery, Graveley Tractors, and STP–and to shut down the now-profitable auto business.

Hudson and Studebaker will be remembered as unique, independent designs, and that is totally unlike the thinking behind the Mercury.

Another auto maker that marched to a different drummer was Kaiser-Frazer. I really liked the styling of the 1951 Kaiser. Had Kaiser spent its resources on developing a V-8 engine rather than building the Henry J which wasn’t a sales success, Kaiser might have survived.

The most unique Mercury, in my opinion, was the 1957-58 Turnpike Cruiser, and this car didn’t feature much in the way of technological advances, but it certainly looked diffeent than anything else on the road.

Studebaker was successful for a couple of years with its Lark model introduced in 1959. Howver, the standard equipment side valve 169 cubic inch six was really anemic and the optional 259 cubic inch V-8 gave virtually the same gas mileage with very good performace. This engine came out in 1951 with 221 cubic inches. IMHO, had Studebaker made the 221 cubic V-8 the standard engine in the Lark, with the 259 V-8 as an option, I think the sales would have been even better. In this time period, people wanted the performace of a V-8, but wanted a compact car with good mileage. I think a Studebaker Lark V-8 would get as good,if not better, mileage than the Corvair or Falcon and certainly would have had better acceleration.

I worked on Studebakers that were ten years old at the dealerships they were bought from, although the car was no longer produced. I have also restored Hudsons. You are correct in not comparing these icons to a Mercury. I just meant these vehicles are no longer with us.

And now we have the real dilemna. A car maker has to build a different car, but it can’t be too different. I always liked cars that looked different–the 1948 through 1954 Hudson, the 1949-1951 Nash AirFlytes, the Studebakers from 1947 to the end of line.

The management now is too risk-averse to try anything new. They give the designers a laundry list of “design cues” to make sure that whatever comes from the design group will look like all their other product.

Chrysler, to its credit, did a few years back under Iaccoca stretch its design legs. It came out with radically different designs, the Ram “big truck” look, the PT Cruiser, the Chrysler 300 (both the first and second modern versions were dramatically different). All of these were successful.

The designers can come up with really nice stuff if not hobbled by the management’s demand to have everything look like everything else.

My brother had one of those in the sixties. It was a big boat and hard on gas, but very comfortable on long trips, even without A/C. That back window could be lowered enough to provide really good flow-through ventilation. The dashboard did resemble a juke box though and restraint was not one of Ford’s styling qualities in those days.

Good design requires vision, good taste and strong leadership. William Lyons of Jaguar had all those. Cars cannot be designed by being given a set of “cues”.

As one stylist once remarked; “A camel is a horse designed by a styling committee!”

One of the worst “me too” designs was the late 50s Humber Super Snipe of the Rootes Group in the UK. It took the US mid 50s Buick design, complete with wrap around windshield and tried to apply this to a compact British car. The result was a hilarious styling joke. Like putting one of Madonna’s pointed “costumes” on a 10 year old girl.

I ran into one of these not so long ago at a Macdonalds on the West Coast. And sure enough, it was driven by a retired British Army colonel who seemed totally in love with his last remnand of the British Empire other than his pension from Her Majesty’s government.

My family has always been a Mercury family. Just since I can remember, we had: 1963 Monterey with the electric slanted back window, '73 Marquis land yacht, '77 Cougar XR-7, '82 Comet, '89 Grand Marquis, 2000 Grand Marquis, and 2003 Sable, LX. We always felt that they were a bit nicer than a Ford in appearance. I loved the Sable with all of it’s extras and got 28 mpg on the highway with the 24 valve V-6. We’ll be sad to see the brand say goodbye. Shucks, if I had the money, I’d go buy a Mariner or Milan right now.

That’s why I used the quotes.

However, from my perspective, a loaded up Ford or Toyota really is just as nice as a Lincoln or Lexus… and cheaper… :slight_smile:

“I’m looking forward to the clearance sales.”

I thought the same thing about Pontiac, but the sales never materialized.

I own a Oldsmobile Intrigue, a Pontiac Vibe and yes a Mercury Sable. What is it with my choice of cars? I buy…they die. May Mercury rest in peace along with Olds and Pontiac, and the same to all of the other brands that have died over the last few years.

Two past Mercury models that impressed me were the Interceptor and the Marauder. The Interceptor was a super duty police model taking a lot of cues from the California Highway Patrol (CHIP).

The Marauder in the late 50s was a 400 HP heavy duty everything performance car to emulate the Chrysler 300 series which were pretty awsome machines in their days.