Mechanic Messed Up Oil Change - mentioned check oil light; sludge; keeping car 1 more day

Absolutely. While a vehicle is under warranty, any and all maintenance and servicing should be done at the dealer. Once the warranty is over, then you can DIY or choose a different shop if cost is an issue.

Since sludge is mentioned and now the CEL is a factor I start wondering how often “changes the oil frequently” actually translates to. Wonder if this is related to a variable valve timing solenoid, etc?

If sludge is a factor than Firestone did not do this. Along with oil change frequency I also wonder how often, if ever, the hood comes up to check the motor oil level. Chronic low motor oil levels will contribute greatly to a sludge problem.
My first inclination was that Firestone (whom I am no fan of) might have botched this but second thoughts with added info tends to say no.

1 Like

Sounds to me like they did put wrong fluid or some such thing and fed your wife a BS story about sludge to try and cover their ass. You really need to be there when the car is picked up and to get a FULL explination of the reason why they had to keep it overnight. A mechanic needs to be with her to make sure what transpires is all above board!

Sidney , DB is not the one with a problem.

2 Likes

I hope @richoanderson_168820 comes back to us with more info…

1 Like