Massive oil burning under load but barely any at slow speeds - seems better with thicker weight oil

I think my oil rings might be ok while my compression rings are worn/stuck. My consumption with the suggested 5W30 oil is 1 quart per 100 miles but much less with a mix of about 2 quarts 10W40 in the mix. This rate of consumptions only happens when I drive on the highway at 70MPH. Sure, I could slow down a tad but I am already in a tiny little car and would rather not have cars and semis flying by. I would rather smoke sometimes than go at an unsafely slow speed. I think my rings are definitely bad from everything I have read and it is now time to move on with a good rebuild.

If the rings are bad in these, the valves are also just about done. Oil burning cooks valves on these little engines as deposits form on the stems (exhaust side) which holds them open and burns them. With that amount of work, I might as well get new everything done by an experienced engine builder and know it is done right and going to last a long time. Why get new valves and rings, when you can get new bearings and possibly have the cylinders bored, etc. I look at a good rebuilt engine as just as good as new.

Conor

I ended up getting another used engine that has a lot less mileage and looks to have been cared for better than my other engine. I took the oil pan off and the internal parts are aluminum colored, not black or brown like the other one. This solved my smoke/oil burning issue and I am not consuming any oil on the new motor.

Conor

Congratulations on your success.
Happy motoring.